Four younger renters? Should I take them?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
James3214

Four younger renters? Should I take them?

Post by James3214 »

So, I had a request for four young Europeans. Ages are 23,18 and two 17 y/olds.
I normally rent to couples and families and the 23 y/o kindly asked me if it would be a problem, but I am not sure about whether to take the booking and if I do under what terms.
I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt but as two of them are particularly young at 17 I am concerned. I was thinking about asking for a bigger deposit and a deposit per person and all of them to sign the contract?
What would you do?
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Would depend on the circumstances.

Is it a short weekend booking or full week long holiday? Here for a holiday or something else?

It does seem like a strange age range - I'm not sure I'd be hanging around with 17 yr olds when I was 23.

Are they possibly there for a study holiday or even some sort of work or sports competition?

I'd ask for more details before accepting - could you find them online by Googling their names?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

You may struggle to enforce a contract with an under 17 year old, and you would have 2 of them

Would the others be prepared to be responsible for the actions of the 17 year olds?

I would agree you need to find out more about them and why they are visiting the area. Facebook and other social media may tell you more than google.
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Thanks for your comments.
They said they are after a quiet holiday for a week and 3 of them are male. The girl who is making the booking said she was in the resort last summer and enjoyed it.
I have just replied to them that I find them a bit too young to stay in my apartment and in a resort which is more geared for families and retirees.
I feel bad about it but as it was in July I can easily fill the week. If things do go wrong with their stay I could face a few problems in the middle of the summer season trying to fix them.
They might of only came to me when others have also refused them.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I had four 17-year old youngsters stay last year; I would only accept the reservation if booked by a parent who would be the responsible adult and doubling of the security deposit. They paid the extra and the parent(2) obviously read then the riot act as they were all very polite and left the place spotless.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

I took a new year booking from a group of 10 young people max age 25 and youngest 17. It did cause a few sleepless nights. They left the villa spotless. I have also had bookings form families and they have left it like a tip! You simply can't tell.