Spanish Residency requirement

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
camel

Spanish Residency requirement

Post by camel »

I will be retiring next year & wish to move to Spain permanently.

With all the knowledge on the form can some one kindly advise me the requirement in terms of paperwork that is required.

Thanks in advance
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

You will need private health insurance (travel insurance and EHIC do not count) Bank statements and certificate showing income and average balance from the last 6 months, passport and NIE number. If you have a joint account and are married you will need to provide a marriage certificate. All the above will need to be officially translated.
Cheers
PC
camel

Post by camel »

Thanks Paul.

I think EHIC card will be replaced by S1 card ?

Regards
camel

Post by camel »

Thanks Paul.

I think EHIC card will be replaced by S1 card ?

Regards
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I don't know about the S1.
Cheers
PC
camel

subject

Post by camel »

My understanding is that the card is issued to semi permanent/permanent residents.

With the SI card you register with the local GP. The cost incurred by the Spanish health system is than recovered from the British system.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I last saw my GP in the UK 25 years ago, so I don't think he's going to give me a card!
Cheers
PC
lorca

Post by lorca »

Camel - at the moment, if you are in receipt of a UK State Pension then an S1 is all you need to get entitlement to free healthcare in Spain. That and proof of your pension is all you'll need to get residency. You apply for the S1 from the UK Pensions Office. The will aslo issue you with a new EHIC which will entitle you to healthcare in the UK

However, all this may change post Brexit. Also you will need to have been a resident for 10 years before you are entitled to permanent residency here in Spain
If not now, when?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Permanent residency is granted after five years of continuous residence but you need 10 years to apply for citizenship. If you are of state retirement age you will be granted access to the Spanish healthcare system via the S1 and the reciprocal healthcare agreement currently in place however I recommend you look at private medical insurance too. Many Spaniards have top up cover plus if there is any dilution or abandonment of the current agreement between the UK and Spain you will need private cover. If the S1 goes you can sign up to the 'convenio espeicial' depending upon where in Spain you settle, but only after you have been resident for at least 12 months. This will cost you €157 each per month if you are 65+. Apart from evidencing healthcare provision you will need to show that you have a regular income and a bit of cash behind you, but unfortunately there are no actual hard and fast rules as to how much income and how much cash. I have heard tales of the bar being raised since the referendum vote. Also there is the 'golden visa' if you invest €500,000 or more in Spain and this can be a property. Let me know if you have any more queries - this is my line of work :)
lorca

Post by lorca »

If not now, when?