Air Bnb

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I am starting to look at airbnb. They have a super strict option, which is much better in terms of cancellation and getting money beforehand, but that option is by invitation only, and I don;t know how easy it is to get an invitation.

Super Strict can be 30 or 60 days, and has a higher commission.

They seem to have accepted me for super strict, maybe because I have 4 properties.

Anybody else using super strict?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

They turned me down. And I asked twice. I don't understand why some people get it and some don't. I explained that i am essentially a 'fly in' destination because I get a lot of bookings from Americans and Canadians who book 6 months ahead so i couldn't risk having space which might be cancelled tied up for months and then lost. No deal for me....
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

FelicityA wrote:They turned me down.
Maybe I was lucky. Maybe it was because I have 4 properties. Maybe because they want to build up inventory in Cornwall. The UK account manager approached me, rather than the other way round. No idea how they got my email address, but I do tend to send out a lot of emails...

But it made me put up listings today. No way was I going to list on their normal terms.
Ladyaga

Post by Ladyaga »

Hi I registered with them 6 weeks ago, and have 5 fully paid up bookings from £1900 up to £2400. can't complain.
there is none so queer as folk
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I am on super strict but have only taken one booking over 8 properties. I still am uneasy though with the fact they can overide whatever I choose

Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

I had our property listed on AirBnB but decided to remove it because I felt their bookings were high risk. Spoke to one of their staff at a trade fair and was discussing their policy of guest not required to supply address details etc. and cancellation policy. It is a condition of my insurance I know the name and address of staying guests which I think is a reasonable request and also peace of mind. They told me I can ask guests to supply it but they are not under obligation to give it. They said don't worry if anything goes wrong we will cover it. What if they don't! A lot of bad publicity with owners fighting for months to get re-embursed for damage. I was told they are aiming more for private home owners renting out a spare room where any income is a bonus not the holiday let market where it is our business.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Sandra J wrote:I had our property listed on AirBnB but decided to remove it because I felt their bookings were high risk. Spoke to one of their staff at a trade fair and was discussing their policy of guest not required to supply address details etc. and cancellation policy. It is a condition of my insurance I know the name and address of staying guests which I think is a reasonable request and also peace of mind. They told me I can ask guests to supply it but they are not under obligation to give it. They said don't worry if anything goes wrong we will cover it. What if they don't! A lot of bad publicity with owners fighting for months to get re-embursed for damage. I was told they are aiming more for private home owners renting out a spare room where any income is a bonus not the holiday let market where it is our business.
I also decided to remove mine a few months ago as I thought it was way too risky too.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I just caught up with the TV programme about Airbnb and it did not make for good viewing ... although I have to say if I was letting out my house I might think twice about leaving a valuable painting in it! I get a few guests through them and all have given me their details when asked .... I do however think that this should be a prerequisite of a booking and without it, owners should be able to cancel without being penalised.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's in my terms that they must provide their details and I reiterate that before they book. So far so good although I've only had a handful of guests through them which is fine by me. I just regard them as a top up to my normal bookings.
Quiterio

Post by Quiterio »

I have friends who advertise with AirBnb and swear by it. They've never had problems with guests. And - excuse me if this is naive - but why should they? The people who search for properties on line are surely the same people whether they use OD, HA, HL or AirBnb? They're just looking for the best rentals at the best price. Isn't this like saying you can't trust people who shop at Asda?

On the other point, how is it possible to rent without having the guests' details? We have to supply this information to the police. If we can't do this for any reason, we're going to have to drop AB also.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Quiterio wrote:I have friends who advertise with AirBnb and swear by it. They've never had problems with guests. And - excuse me if this is naive - but why should they? The people who search for properties on line are surely the same people whether they use OD, HA, HL or AirBnb? They're just looking for the best rentals at the best price. Isn't this like saying you can't trust people who shop at Asda?
I've never had any problem with the guests who have booked through AirBnb who have stayed here. On the contrary, they are among the most respectful.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

la vache! wrote:
Quiterio wrote:I have friends who advertise with AirBnb and swear by it. They've never had problems with guests. And - excuse me if this is naive - but why should they? The people who search for properties on line are surely the same people whether they use OD, HA, HL or AirBnb? They're just looking for the best rentals at the best price. Isn't this like saying you can't trust people who shop at Asda?
I've never had any problem with the guests who have booked through AirBnb who have stayed here. On the contrary, they are among the most respectful.
ditto!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had just two bookings, both out of peak season, so brought in much welcom extra incime. Both bookings were couples who looked after the place well.
One of them is coming back in the summer for a week, but booked direct this time.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Just got my first booking under super strict 60 day yesterday, I wasn't sure how it worked, booking is for mid April, but I got an email today saying bank transfer has been done, will be in my bank in a few days. So it seems to be working. You never know whether the reality is the same as what you are told. Maybe I am jaundiced from HA experiences.

No obvious way to turn down a booking, but I will investigate when I don't like the look of a booking.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Are you on the online booking system Nigel? I'm not...yet, but I know that my listings are lower because I'm not.