Advice on travertine in bathrooms

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
hethmet

Advice on travertine in bathrooms

Post by hethmet »

Hi,

We are converting barns at our property and one will be a holiday let with our home also on site. We were thinking of fully tiling our rental en-suites in travertine but are now wondering if we should go for normal porcelain tiles for ease of cleaning. We are trying to aim for a balance between luxury and practicality and don't want to end up with bathrooms that are a struggle to keep spotlessly clean and stain free.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Regards
Heather
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We have travertine wall tiles on out own bathroon, been there for about 10 years & look as good as new.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We have a travertine bathroom at home. It looks good but a couple of things to think about. The tiles are quite thick and heavy compared with porcelain so a bit more tricky to fix. We had a problem that our bathroom was in the back north facing corner of our house and a bit cold and damp, so a couple of the tiles slipped before the fixant had set properly. Also, they need sealing and re-sealing every few years, so a bit higher maintenance than normal tiles. But as I say they look great if you don't mind the extra work.
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

I have them in my place and we installed them years before thinking about holiday letting. One problem is that you have to be very careful what you clean with, if you use anti limescale products they are damaged instantly. As we live in a high limescale area then it's a problem and I would not use them again.

That said I've never heard of having them sealed, maybe that would prevent damage from cleaning products?

Another consideration might be that fashions in bathroom decor have moved on a bit and travertine bathrooms might start to look a little dated in coming years? I suppose it depends on the style of your house a little too.
hethmet

Post by hethmet »

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It certainly gives food for thought. There is so much to think about for setting up a holiday let and I'm spending a lot of time looking through the forum - it's a great source of information! We are a quite a way off from having a holiday cottage ready to rent out but I'm already compiling a list of things to do in readiness and all information is gratefully received!

Regards
Heather