Occupancy decision

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
KHCottage

Occupancy decision

Post by KHCottage »

We complete the purchase of a small 2 bedroom semi detached bungalow shortly. It has a small conservatory and open planned living area with a wood burner. It is in Pembrokeshire about 5 miles from the coast and, hopefully, ideal for touring the area. The problem is if we go for 4 person it may be a bit of a squeeze getting 2 two seat sofas or 1 and 2 chairs. If we make it a 2 person what to do with the other bedroom ? Seems unnecessary having it as a dining room. Or making it a child room and have 2 +1? Is there much of a rental difference between 2 & 4. With only 2 we can target a more narrow audience and perhaps make it more towards the semi luxury end for couples. Lots to ponder any advice gratefully received.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I would look at from the point of view of the other facilities you have; is the kitchen big enough for a small family or two couples to cook and eat, and most importantly the bathing facilities - how big is the bathroom, does it have a separate shower or shower over the bath? Think about how four adults (2 on the sofa bed) might cope. Also, think about possible wear-and-tear on the property of a party of four.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Thanks for your thoughts. It is a shower over bath so that points to 2. The kitchen is not too small for 4 perhaps. I was thinking with only 2 there would be less wear and rear and also less work on change over. Still wondering what to use the other bedroom for.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Put a single bed (adult size!) in the 2nd bedroom and advertise sleeps max 3. That way you will open your market to couples (who may or may not like to sleep in the same bed/room), 2 friends holidaying together or small families - if you want to take kids at all. If you're interested in being kiddy friendly, you could also offer a cot in the 2nd bedroom ...
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
JanB

Post by JanB »

As PW says, make it a sleeps 3. I ran my two bedroom cottage on that basis and it worked really well.

I also found some couples liked a separate room (to escape snoring partner!). Quite often, a couple would book amd bring older parent with them or a teenager, so there is a market for that.

As you rightly say, the wear and tear is less than a sleeps 4 - I also had a larger cottage and the work after a family of 4 was markedly more than the smaller cottage. Equally when I had two couples to stay, it seemed they were quite heavy on everything.

Good luck and enjoy the process!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We have a similar situation and have bunk beds in the second bedroom, a three seat sofa and two beanbags in the living area. We make it very clear in our advertising what we provide for sleeps four. We are in a seaside village where this type of property is common and seems to attract either families with children who don't mind the beanbags or couples who sometimes use the second bedroom. We can charge more than sleeps 2 and have a wider market for both couples and young families.
Last edited by Jenster on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Thanks for the replies. The sleeeps 3 with a cot available idea sounds good. It would work a lot better than trying to fit 4 adults in.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have a sleeps 3 cottage but also allow families with 2 very small children to stay

60% to 66% use both bedrooms ...