Booking.com Payments

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
ishola21

Booking.com Payments

Post by ishola21 »

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help, I have recently started advertising our property with booking.com. When it comes to payments by credit cards, I notice the guest doesn't have to put the CV numbers but I cant process the payment through stripe without it. How does everyone process the payment from guests?

Thanks in advance.
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

Hi

You need to call booking.com so the CVC will be compulsory for guests
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can also message them if you don't have any luck phoning, although they are usually good at annswering the phone. I asked them to activate it a couple of weeks ago, and got my one and only successful booking a few days later. The rest have all booked then not paid when I've requested either CC or bank transfer/
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

sylvainbg wrote:Hi

You need to call booking.com so the CVC will be compulsory for guests
Thanks for the advice. This has been driving me absolutely mad. Guests 'book' and leave their card details but I can't process it and the guest then ignore the constant emails, texts and calls demanding cash. I simply tire of it and cancel the booking.

I will contact Booking.com and ask that the booking details include the cvc
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

ianthy wrote: I will contact Booking.com and ask that the booking details include the cvc
If you accept cards, then you need to be PCI compliant. Storing CVC codes does not comply with PCI DSS.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

you can only view it once to process the payment then it disappears from the system.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Hells Bells wrote:you can only view it once to process the payment then it disappears from the system.
I didn't think under PCI DSS, you're allowed to store it at all. After all, there may be a long delay between the details being stored and your processing of the payment. Which reminds me, my merchant card provider has just asked me to confirm that I have a program to monitor service providers PCI DSS compliance status at least annually. Is Booking.com PCI DSS compliant (not that I use booking.com)?
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

My channel manager that I am using is sending the card details to stripe vault.
CSE

Post by CSE »

newtimber wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:you can only view it once to process the payment then it disappears from the system.
I didn't think under PCI DSS, you're allowed to store it at all. After all, there may be a long delay between the details being stored and your processing of the payment. Which reminds me, my merchant card provider has just asked me to confirm that I have a program to monitor service providers PCI DSS compliance status at least annually. Is Booking.com PCI DSS compliant (not that I use booking.com)?
The CC details are stored for more than one viewing.
The question about compliance should be asked of Booking.
To be honest do you really think that every single business world wide is compliant? Recent history is dotted with websites which have been hacked and CC details taken.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The CC details are but the CVC code disappears.
CSE

Post by CSE »

we do not need the cvc number to take money on our card machine. So details are still shown up to 3 viewings.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

casasantoestevo wrote: To be honest do you really think that every single business world wide is compliant? Recent history is dotted with websites which have been hacked and CC details taken.
There are considerable Card Scheme fines associated with non-compliance following a data compromise. Many non-compliant merchants have ceased trading because the fines could not be accommodated.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

newtimber wrote: Is Booking.com PCI DSS compliant (not that I use booking.com)?
I've wondered about this.

Does a guest who uses BC understand (and accept?) that their card details are not processed by BC, who might be expected to be a secure organisation, but are passed to a third party who may be a reputable organisation, or an individual of dubious background who has just been given all the information he or she needs to drain the CC dry? What checks are in place?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

greenbarn wrote:
newtimber wrote: Is Booking.com PCI DSS compliant (not that I use booking.com)?
I've wondered about this.

Does a guest who uses BC understand (and accept?) that their card details are not processed by BC, who might be expected to be a secure organisation, but are passed to a third party who may be a reputable organisation, or an individual of dubious background who has just been given all the information he or she needs to drain the CC dry? What checks are in place?
It's not foolproof - there'll be bad hoteliers amongst the sea of good ones - but at least, unlike the homeaway group, BC check every single property on their website exists before it goes live. If a property owner then starts clearing credit cards, they're very traceable, which has to be a deterrent.
CSE

Post by CSE »

All of those unscrupulous hotels cannot download details of the CC from Booking.
As stated before details can only be view a max of three times.