We have bookings! bedding? meeting & greeting? cake?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jeddy

We have bookings! bedding? meeting & greeting? cake?

Post by Jeddy »

We went live on Friday and got 3 bookings over the weekend. I'm excited but nervous and now thinking of random thoughts, every hour the list gets longer!

Here's a few:

How soon to put bedding on. Do you have the clean bedding on during un-let weeks? or just put it on the day before arrival?

Meeting and greeting. We live next door so I'll be doing the key handover. Do you go inside or just chat on the doorstep. I don't want to impose when they might be tired after a journey.

Home made cake. I make a delicious Bara Brith which is a Welsh cake, similar to a Tea Loaf. Am I allowed to give the guests a home made cake?

Thank you
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Fantastic!

Bedding depends on whether you're likely to get any short notice bookings - we tend to make the beds up sooner rather than later because then we're ready to go if an unexpected booking comes in and the cleaners not available. If you're doing it yourself that might not be so much of an issue.

We're off site so meet and greet isn't an option. Speaking as a guest I prefer to be left to explore on our own and maybe have the owner arrange to pop in the next morning to see if we've got any questions.

I think food health and safety is a minefield - someone else may know more. There have been threads about it on here before. As a guest, however we would LOVE home made bara brith!
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We don't leave bedding on the beds as we like it to be nice and fresh, esp in the shoulder months if the apartment's been unheated and the bedding might get a bit cold.

I agree with Joanna that I prefer to be left alone to explore but others might like the full meet and greet so probably best to play it by ear. You could even ask if they'd like to be shown around not.

Home made goods are a lovely idea but again as Joanna says are a bit of a minefield, with allergies and so on. I think you might need a hygiene certificate etc but others will know more. Sadly I always provide quality local shop bought goods for this reason but at least we are supporting the local economy :)
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I'm an offsite owner so I don't have the flexibility that on-site owners have. Any callout to the housekeeper for a one off task costs a minimum of £30 so I have to organise things to keep the costs reasonable.

During May through September the beds are remade when guests leave. During the winter when bookings are fewer, beds are made up just before visitors arrive.

There is no one to meet and greet, the key is left in a safe. I give visitors a lot of information before they arrive. I also tell them I will ring them on the landline on the afternoon/evening of their arrival. They all appreciate this and it gives them an opportunity to cover any immediate queries.

Can't provide home made cakes like you Jeddy, yours sounds delicious. The housekeeper leaves locally made biscuits/cake bought in the village shop.
The best things in life are free
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Hi Jeddy, well done on your bookings already!
I'm an on-site owner, 2 and a half years in now and still learning lots esp from this forum.

Bedding - I strip the beds ASAP after guests have left even if I've a few days between bookings. I tend to make them up a couple of days before the next ones arrive (if I have that long).

Meet and greet - I like to meet guests when they arrive if possible. Obviously if I'm out when they arrive then I can't. I tend to read the people as to whether they want to have a minimal briefing or happy to chat and want to ask me questions. If minimal I stick to the most important things like the heating and wifi code and then back off.

Cakes - I make a cake for my guests but always ask on email after booking made if there are any allergies in the party. I also label the cake lid with ingredients.

Good luck!
So much to learn....so little time!
ClareW

Post by ClareW »

Hi Jeddy,
I am new to all this too! As I started up in the colder months I tend to strip the beds immediately and not make them up again until soon before the next guests arrive- in the summer I think I'll make them up straight away ready for the next guests. I have my first departure and arrival on the same day though on Saturday so that will be interesting!
I have a key safe but only live a couple of miles away so always offer the option of the guests letting themselves in using the key safe or me coming to greet them. So far every guest has chosen to use the key safe (as I would do as half the fun is letting yourselves in and exploring). I think it also feels more like their home while they're there if they don't meet the owner even though we often have contact via text during the visit (often them thanking me for the cake....!)
I too make a home made cake which always seems to go down well, and list the ingredients in case of food allergies.
3 bookings on the weekend you went live is amazing! You're obviously doing something right!
CSE

Post by CSE »

To supply food you have to do it within the rules applying to the UK.
This suggest you contact your LA
https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/startingup
All ingredients will have to have traceability in case there is a problem.
Where you make your bread maybe inspected for hygiene reasons.
Read all about food allergy and intolerances. Labelling will have to meet regulations too.
https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide
It only takes one person to be taken ill or worse die of eating something you have provided and not taken care to inform them about to get you into trouble.
This is one reason why the likes of the WI or home-made food is not available at car-boot sales or local markets.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would always suggest you strip beds on the day guests vacate. That way you can see if mattress covers and pillow protectors need washing.