Another great site sold off to the USA

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Another great site sold off to the USA

Post by Sam V »

I've been a member of Streetlife.com for the past couple of years. A great site for local discussions on planning, traffic probs, burglary warnings, trade and services recommendations, giving and selling stuff. Now they've been bought out by a US site 'Nextdoor' and most of us aren't happy that our full name and address is now visible within our local area 'for safety'.

Gutted
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

+1
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Plus 2 and I am far from happy.
Fleur
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I am registered on Streetlife but only ever made 1 or 2 posts over a year ago.

How are the addresses displayed? It it just new posts (ever hopeful - probably niaive)?

Can someone search and find your address?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

zebedee, Streetlife will very soon be no more.

All their subscribers are being handed over to the bigger American cousin called NextDoor.

The NextDoor default setting is to show your full address.

In NextDoor, you need to go into Settings (Click on the tiny little down arrow next to the tiny little image of you in the very top right corner of the screen). Then in Settings, select Privacy and you can elect to only show your neighbourhood and not your detailed address.

Having said all that, there is A LOT of banter going on about how awful the site is compared to its predecessor.

All very reminiscent of the HomeAway/Expedia acquisition of Owners Direct - just to bring this topic back to Holiday Rental Land :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Thanks Richard.

I just tried to follow your instructions and saw a message to say "your account and data has not been transferred to Nextdoor and won't be unless you press the 'move to Nextdoor' buttons on Streetlife. When you press one of these buttons your profile information will be taken with you, and you will be invited to chose a new password for Nextdoor"

I haven't found Streetlife as useful as others on this forum (I think I posted previously about knowing someone use the site to promote a business dishonestly as the posters both work as partners but appeared to be recommending each other as though they were customers). So I think I will opt out now, and not bother to migrate to the new company.

Thanks once again.

Edited to add

Streetlife users in Nextdoor privacy row
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

This is actually quite shocking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Pamski

Post by Pamski »

I had been a member of Streetlife for a few months, just made the odd comment and read stuff on there. I did migrate, if that is the right word, to Nextdoor but then read on a bit more and unsubscribed.
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

Having a US property I have been on Nextdoor for a while after our Homeowners association started using it to update residents on events, meetings and such. I have had no experience on Streetlife so am unable to compare.
The use has grown and has become a real 'community' for our neighbourhood, both locals and remote owners and has helped,I believe, build bridges between the two. It is used for all the usual - lost pets, items for sale, community and local events, recommendations for restaurants, tradespeople and also debate on Homeowner Association items. All in all I find it a useful tool but, like all social media, some caution is always advised!
I have my specific address withheld but most do not. Also have who can view my profile restricted to my property neighbourhood. I think it is a cultural difference thing. In the US details on your home address (including mortgage, taxes, amount paid for the property, debts against the address etc., etc.) are freely available through government/ county/ state sites, a level of information access the Europeans (especially Brits) would not be accustomed to!
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

When you say you have your 'specific address withheld' Petemcveigh, what is visible? I am only able to remove my house name but the remaining address is visible within my local area, so as I live in a road of only five houses it's not too difficult to guess which is mine as ND shows a map of ND member houses!

petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

I see where you are coming from Sam, I left just the street name but, as I say, I also restricted quite tightly who can see my details so it should really only be those in the community who would have a fair idea where I live. This is possible where we are as it is a relatively small and well defined community (about 600 homes), I don't know what 'size' the communities are on Streetlife and, as such, what Streetlife users are used to- is it an area, a street, a town.....
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Streetlife is/was set as towns and villages and you could select the ones in your surrounding area. Only your registered area is visible to others and you do not have to us your names.