Damage found later

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Tominfrance

Post by Tominfrance »

I have to say that in all the years we've been letting out our gites the Brits have been outstanding, but not necessarily in a good way. They are by no means all bad, but we no longer advertise in the UK because we know that 8 out of 10 times we'll have to deep clean the place when they've left.
If I could have none other than German and Dutch I'd be happy, because we know that 100% of the time (to date!) we can just change the linnen and hand the keys over to the next guests.
The only people who restacked unwashed plates in the cupboard were Australian. The only ones who invited six other people to stay in a gite for 2 were Parisians ( but they were clean). The only ones we've kept the deposit from were Scottish. The only ones to do a midnight flit and leave the place a real mess were Irish and the only ones we've ever had to physically remove were Turkish.
The only thing we have learned 100% is that you cannot judge people on first appearances!
Oh, no. Not him again.
JayJay500

Post by JayJay500 »

I think it's impossible to prove who does the damage and actually make it stick. We had a text from guests shortly after their arrival to say the shelf in the shower was broken and had come adrift. I know they did it (and have a pretty shrewd idea HOW they did it :D) otherwise the cleaner would have immediately told me. I say they did it, they say they didn't. There are no winners in going through legal channels to enforce it. I think you just have to suck it up, but a damages deposit tends to make them a little more cautious I think.
Life Is Art- Paint Your Dreams