The Small Print

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
SPJ

The Small Print

Post by SPJ »

How much "small print" do you have on your site?

I'm just finalising mine using a template and getting down to the nitty gritty of the tiny writing at the bottom of the page.

NB: I'm not talking about our own terms and conditions, which are linked to our booking page, but stuff like "privacy" (eg collection of personal information) and "disclaimer" (eg limitations of liability) and "terms and conditions of the website" (eg right to use)

Some sites I've looked at have nothing like this at all and I'm wondering how necessary it is given that we are talking about a single two-bedroom gite which is used by only about eight groups of guests through the summer four of whom will be paying and four will be friends.

Not least, I find the whole legal tone in this small print so unfriendly, whereas the rest of the site I'm trying to make as welcoming as possible.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts / advice on what is (and is not) absolutely necessary.
Thanks Sue
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I don't think anyone will tell you outright not to put in all that additional 'small print', because by sod's law something will happen at a future date where you wish you had included it. If you are in the UK, there may be some piece of legislation requiring you to add the bit about the collection of personal data.

I don't include any of that in our terms and conditions. They already contain appropriate disclaimers (e.g. in the event of 'force majeure' situations) and as for rights and obligations pertaining to the use of our website, I think that is way beyond necessary.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks Andrew, I do think it seems a bit OTT.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

AndrewH wrote: If you are in the UK, there may be some piece of legislation requiring you to add the bit about the collection of personal data.
This is an EU regulation https://termsfeed.com/blog/eu-privacy-policy/ - this does not originate in the UK.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks Newtimber