What is your cancellation policy?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
SPJ

What is your cancellation policy?

Post by SPJ »

Like others here, I have suddenly found that OD has "imposed" a cancellation policy on me of 50% if cancel within 7 days and 100% if 14 or more days in advance.

Their readiness to play around with MY terms and conditions appalls me!

However, this does prompt me to ask, what cancellation policy do you have? And is the OD cancellation policy fair to both parties.

Grateful for any thoughts suggestions.
Little Villa

OD cancellation policy

Post by Little Villa »

Hi SPJ. That's shocking. Where is the OD cancellation policy mentioned on your listing? I have been through my listing and I can't find anything - mind you they may have hidden it somewhere. Or is it because I haven't got online booking or online payments?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hi Little Villa on the Hill, it's under the section "Prices and Availability" . You have to click the "View all prices" button and then it's at the bottom under "Additional Pricing Info". I have discovered I can edit the setting - they offer a "strict" to "relaxed" scale of policies or no refund (which is not really the case)

I've plumped for a level which is "firm" (if I remember) 50% refund with 14 days notice and 100% refund with 30 days notice.
Little Villa

OD Cancellation Policy

Post by Little Villa »

When I checked my listing, in the place you mentioned, all I have there is this:

'Owner's Cancellation Policy

Please ask the owner or check their rental agreement when booking the property.'

Once logged in I found the place where you can upload your own Cancellation Policy, but I send a tailor-made 'T&C' to every enquiry, so I haven't got anything meaningful to upload.

I will keep my eye on things, and maybe try and format a one-size-fits-all policy just in case.

Thanks for flagging it up.

Maybe this should be in Listing Sites?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I posted here because I'm creating my own website and wondering whether I should have a cancellation policy shown on my own site and if so, what it should be and I was looking for thoughts and suggestions.

As always, thanks for any help. Sue
newtimber

Re: OD Cancellation Policy

Post by newtimber »

Little Villa on a Hill wrote:When I checked my listing, in the place you mentioned, all I have there is this:

'Owner's Cancellation Policy

Please ask the owner or check their rental agreement when booking the property.'

Once logged in I found the place where you can upload your own Cancellation Policy, but I send a tailor-made 'T&C' to every enquiry, so I haven't got anything meaningful to upload.
This seems very strange. Why do some guests have different terms and conditions to others?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

My OD cancellation policy is the same as Little Villa's, but it has been like that (or similar) for a number of years now. Perhaps more recent subscribers have to adhere to what cancellation policy OD imposes on them. As SPJ says, they appear to allow a choice from 'easy' to 'very strict'. I don't plan to go digging in there to find out more, because I know what would happen!
COYS

Post by COYS »

SPJ wrote:I posted here because I'm creating my own website and wondering whether I should have a cancellation policy shown on my own site and if so, what it should be and I was looking for thoughts and suggestions.

As always, thanks for any help. Sue
I'd sooner have it physically stated in the terms & conditions. These we send out (email) on request, after which an online booking form contains a check box confirming that they've been read & accepted. So far, so good.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks Coys. May I ask what your cancellation policy is?
COYS

Post by COYS »

SPJ wrote:Thanks Coys. May I ask what your cancellation policy is?
Minimum bookings of one week.
We have a 7 day 'cooling off' period during which reservation deposits are returnable in full, thereafter they are non-refundable.
Cancellation charges; up to 90 days prior to arrival - deposit only, 90-30 days - 50% of total, within 30 days - 100% of total.

If we are able to resell the dates we will reimburse losses at the rate resold.

Thankfully, & it was a good few years back, we have had only one cancellation resulting in charges, for which we invoiced & were duly paid.

For what it's worth - & I realise we are all very different - I think having a firm but clear & upfront cancellation policy is a definite deterrent to throwaway reservations or no shows.
We have no OLB enabled, so our own policy still applies at OD, the same as AndrewH & Little Villa.
To be frank, some of the cancellation terms currently being forced on owners across the industry are utterly ridiculous & not something I would adopt at any cost.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

COYS wrote:To be frank, some of the cancellation terms currently being forced on owners across the industry are utterly ridiculous & not something I would adopt at any cost.
Only recently AB&B were experimenting with allowing cancellations with rent refunds up to 48 hour after the guests had arrived. Also, I remember Booking.com's TV advertisement which showed guests booking then cancelling, then rebooking and cancelling again, at no cost to themselves. However, I think both these ideas have quietly died a death due, I would think, to protests from owners.
COYS

Post by COYS »

AndrewH wrote:
COYS wrote:To be frank, some of the cancellation terms currently being forced on owners across the industry are utterly ridiculous & not something I would adopt at any cost.
Only recently AB&B were experimenting with allowing cancellations with rent refunds up to 48 hour after the guests had arrived. Also, I remember Booking.com's TV advertisement which showed guests booking then cancelling, then rebooking and cancelling again, at no cost to themselves. However, I think both these ideas have quietly died a death due, I would think, to protests from owners.
Died a death or applied by stealth AndrewH?
Only recently I was privy to my pampered niece & her friends excitedly booking their latest 'travel plans' around Europe. It was perfectly normal & acceptable for them to book several city apartments, knowing full well that they would only be staying & paying for one, the rest would be refunded. My mumbled misgivings on such crass intentions were met with prosecco burps & blank stares - it's 'normal' apparently. Rome, you have been warned :!:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Here's an idea (I only use Coys' niece as an example, nothing personal):

If more people like Coys' niece start booking with a view to 100% refunds the day before, then our only answer is to take a leaf out of the airline's book and do some gradual overbooking. When Coy's niece turns up at her chosen apartment and is "bumped off", she might just change her mind.

Of course, we as owners should make it abundantly clear that its not our policy but one imposed on us by Airbnb.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

COYS wrote

Minimum bookings of one week.
We have a 7 day 'cooling off' period during which reservation deposits are returnable in full, thereafter they are non-refundable.
Cancellation charges; up to 90 days prior to arrival - deposit only, 90-30 days - 50% of total, within 30 days - 100% of total.

If we are able to resell the dates we will reimburse losses at the rate resold.
I would agree with above, although you can alter the detail a little. I include a statement to warn, saying something about any re sold dates may be sold as late availability, discounted to acheive a sale.

A lot depends upon when you require your balance payment.
In reality, if you ask for balance payment 8 weeks before the holiday starts (56days), you may find you only get told about a cancellation when you chase the overdue payment. This can take more time than you would expect.

I have increased my deposit this year, partly because of this (wanting an easy life) and partly because of other comments on the forum and being in line with what other people do.

You need to consider how much work it would be to try and enforce anything more than the deposit payment at this time.

As well as cancellation policy on my website I know include a statement in the TCs suggesting insurance is taken out, which for holidays in the U.K. can be bought via price comparison sites for very little money.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Couldn't agree more e-richard, if the trend continues, some owners are going to need a safety net surely?
Maybe it's a generational thing (they are 'intelligent' mid 20's 'grown ups') & it's all they know, but they were adamant that it is normal & that you are allowed to. My protestations were treated as no more than the mad ramblings of a grouchy dinosaur.

Zebedee. 100% agree with the trials & tribulations of cancellations, but thankfully they are (or have been) rare.
The insurance (inc cancellation) cover recommendation should be a given in any T&C's, & has been in ours from day one. It is (circumstances prevailing) far cheaper & comprehensive than any of the listing site guarantees