Children by stealth?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
SW31

Children by stealth?

Post by SW31 »

Hi, some advice needed.

We advertise on HA and state the Gite is not suitable for children up front in the overview. So far, we keep getting requests for adults plus children which I politely decline. The last enguiry via the French Abritel site was for two adults and no children but the enquirer asked about nearby lakes as the children would need more diversions than just the pool at the Gite to keep them occupied. I wrote back saying the request for this booking was just for two adults so why the question re activities for the kids. She got a little shirty but didn't explain her original request. I spoke to HA and they said don't respond which was fine with me.

Advice is needed as I'm now wondering about some of our other bookings. Although the Gite info clearly stated there are only two doublen suite bedrooms we also state we have two day beds in the mezzanine area which could be attractive to parents. I'm wondering if I can send out the form for guests details to be completed and ask them to scan the forms back. What do you think?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

What's the reason for thinking your gite is unsuitable for children? Are there unsafe areas or do you not want kids messing up your property? It's illegal to discriminate against kids/families in France, so if you refuse a booking on the grounds of there being children in the group, you could end up in trouble.

However, I can't see a problem with you pointing out to potential guests that you don't recommend your property to families because of, e.g. cliffs, dangerous river or steep stairs. It won't stop families booking (what bothers one parent would be a so-what for another), but it at least gives them the info to decide for themselves whether the gite will suit their needs, and therefore reduce the chance of you receiving negative feedback.

If it's to do with personal choice, then you have to make sure there are no suitable beds for kids... though that can be tricky as French families are quite happy for their kids to share a bed on holiday.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We only accept that a booking is confirmed when I have a completed booking form with guest names and their deposit or full payment.

I would not be happy to take a booking when I didn't know how many and the names of guests.

I can't see there is a problem with asking for a booking form to be completed and scanned/posted back to you. Most holiday companies ask for all the names of the parties.

Of course, that information might not 'give away' the fact the guests are children so you might have to go with Ecosse's suggestions.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I send out a Wufoo booking form which can be completed on line ( in conjunction to agreeing my t and c's). On my particular design set up, it requires the guest to fill in all the names of those staying ( which you should have anyway from a possible conflagration point of view) and their ages if under 18.
kedge

Post by kedge »

Our booking form has always asked for the ages of the children so we would know about cots and high chairs or make sure that they were suited to the available accommodation, or so that we could advise the people in the second gite of their ages. Now we need the information as they have introduced a Tourist tax in our part of Charente Maritime which does not apply to 18 and under or under 18 - the paperwork is not clear.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Kedge makes a very valid point. We have to pay tourist tax on a visitor/per night basis but under 13s are free so it is important for me to know how old any 'children' (say, under 16) are so that I don't pay for someone who is exempt.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes, I have a booking form that must be returned with names and ages if under 18, that clearly states ONLY these people are allowed to stay. No need to scan and return, I think email is fine.

I have a Yes / No to delete on agreement to the terms. I've done it with an online form too, either works well.

I think that without this you'll be pretty likely to get some kids squeezed in! I've had it happen here even with the form - that's when I added the statement about only those people are allowed to stay. Some people really do need it spelling out. Also be sure to have a French version.
Last edited by Martha on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We have booking forms scanned back to us regularly, but I don't think it would deter those determined to break your rules. Why are the put up beds there, is it for extra adults? If possible I would not mention them unless asked.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I had a couple of 16 year olds (a boy and girl "item") wanting to book our rental last year off their own bat. One of their chief concerns, in filling out the form, was whether they should have put "2" in the box marked "children" or "2" in the box marked "number of adult".

I immediately warmed to them, and having checked out the legalities (the age of consent is only 15 in Greece), I was ready to accept them and take the extra responsibility and dangers of being "in loco parentis". However, their parents got wind of all this and the booking never happened.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Bless 'em!