Bad Guests!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Martha wrote:I do it with Paypal and it's extremely easy, just send a template invoice, which I refund when they leave and then there are no PayPal charges.
Not strictly true, there is a Paypal charge but it's not very much.
Martha

Post by Martha »

If you refund within (I think) 60 days, the charge is also refunded.

You just need to be sure it's all kept in the same currency to avoid fluctuations
http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16021
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I think there's a pretty strong link between over-occupancy and disrespectful guests. Though obviously it's not only the over-occupiers who can be bad guests.

A suggestion - not suitable for all - but if you are able to point a camera at the place where people come on to your property without being invasive, a security camera pointing at the entry point can be a deterrent to those planning to over-occupy.

We've had plenty of evidence of over-occupancy in the past but haven't had the proof. Now we have a camera pointing over the driveway which will be able to provide proof (as soon as we next go there with a micro-SD card which I forgot to get for it).

But the main point is that it is a deterrent. We are now letting guests know that it's there before they arrive. On our new online booking form, the T&Cs have to be individually agreed including the bit that says "Only those named on the booking form can occupy the property" and goes on to say that if over-occupancy is detected, they will lose their accommodation with no refund of rental or damage deposit.

Since we've had those stiff words on the booking form, I don't think that we've had any over-occupancy. But the camera is there just in case.

Just so that we know when to check the camera, there's a program running on the ventilation controller which counts non-permanent WiFi devices within range and sends us an email when it detects more than the normal count.

That's belt and braces then some more braces.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Ben McNevis: very impressed with wi-fi detector of more-than-normal-number-of-devices.

As others mention - the damage deposit keeps some focus and is not a pain, just part of the admin process.

It can be uncomfortable confronting guests if rules aren't quite followed - Mr Sunbeam is much better at it than me - but an important skill to learn in this business. Much harder without the back-up of a friend or partner.