Pembrokeshire website review

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
KHCottage

Pembrokeshire website review

Post by KHCottage »

Hi, have completed the purchase of the bungalow today. The website has been in production for a couple of weeks, now there will be more photos of the bungalow once it is furnished. I think the target market will be middle aged couples interested in walking, touring Pembrokeshire etc. Have nearly decided on occupancy of 3 rather than 4. Any advice will be appreciated, we realise the website takes a great deal of work and hopefully we are going in the right direction.

http://www.khbungalow.co.uk
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

It's a good start but I'm afraid it needs a bit more work. I don't like to be critical but there are too many words that say very little. To give a few examples:-
can comfortably accommodate up to three people between two bedrooms
3 people in the corridor and how many in the bedrooms :D
is perfect for family and adult getaways
What do you mean by an adult getaway? What type of getaway is it not suitable for?
The wood burner is perfect for relaxing and getting cosy after a day walking and we supply a stock of logs to get you started.
Don't get me started... a photo would give a much better picture than all these words. People don't want to read lots of words on a website.
There is a small library and and guides

An extra 'and'.

The microwave seems to be mentioned in the living room description rather than the kitchen.

You state that the
the bungalow has been carefully furnished for a cosy and comfortable feel

but I could not find any photographs of the property at all except for a small photo of the kitchen and none of the living room, bedrooms or bathroom. Most of the photos seem to be of the beach, but are very generic and could be anywhere. I love Pembrokeshire, but you haven't really sold me why I should choose your property over anywhere else in the area.

In the fire risk assessment, under 1.3. Activities that might cause a fire, including work processes/procedures
you mention "Care exercised by visitors". I have no idea why care should be an activity that might cause a fire, and wood falling out of the wood burner isn't. Shouldn't you include chimney fire as a risk and say that the chimney is swept at least every year by a competent sweep?

I'm aware that this list is sounding negative; it's meant to be helpful so please don't take offence!
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Hi Newtimber, thanks for taking the time to review the website. Some valid comments over the excess of words. We are reviewing the wording and will adjust in due course. As I said in my post, there will be a lot more photos of the property now we actually own it, but we need to buy some furniture first, as it is empty now. It was just the first attempt, and your comments will help to improve it. Thanks again.
Jay GHC

Post by Jay GHC »

Hi KHcottage.

First of all well done, you've bought a bungalow thats in a great place to attract a lot of holiday makers and having you just 2 minutes away from the property is ideal. Also having the website up is a big job done.

As you've only just started your main priorities right now is to get the cottage up to the standard you want. I wouldnt worry about the website too much yet as you wont get many people booking without pics (and as you've rightly said, theres no point taking pics until the cottage is furnished). I've just done a rennovation myself and would fully reccommend wayfair .co .uk, they have great deals and a good selection of everything. Avoid studio .co .uk.

Anyway, back to the website. I have to agree with newtimber a bit that there is a lot of writing. Instead of writing out all your facilities you could have a quick list. Such as Library with an icon of a book next to it, Log burner with an icon of a log, Free Wifi next to an icon of a router etc. Makes the website more visual for the potnetial guest.

First impressions really count and what people will want to see is pictures of your cottage to get a feel of it. This is where your log burner would really tick boxes. Id remove the first 2 sentences from your homepage as its not what guests will be looking for. Try to think of punchy phrases, Romantic getaway, Peaceful countryside, Cosy Logburner etc.

I'd also really consider changing your single bed to bunk beds, meaning that you can sleep 4. This opens you up to a lot more people especially families, but doesnt detract couples from still visiting.

I couldnt see if you accept pets or not, if you do, have it clear on your home page as its a good selling point (perhaps with your facilities list). Id also add a closer up map and show how close you are to the shops and to the beach. And id have your floor plan in your photos tab.

You should get some good bookings this summer and last minute bookings tend to fill gaps but you might want to consider using a holiday letting agent such as sykes to help fill you up once your cottage is furnished.

Sorry ive blabbered on for so long, hope it helps.
Jay
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Hi Jay, thank you for your comments. The idea of bunk beds sounds like something to think about. I am already reducing the number of words and will continue to do so. Very good point about the firts sentances on the home page. Off to give the bungalow a good clean today so will try and get a photo of the wood burner.

Many thanks KHcottage.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Jay GHC wrote:Hi KHcottage.

I'd also really consider changing your single bed to bunk beds, meaning that you can sleep 4. This opens you up to a lot more people especially families, but doesnt detract couples from still visiting.
+1. This is the setup we have and it attracts all kinds of groups, from a traditional family of four to couples (who sleep separately or together) and groups of friends. I have just taken a booking from a Mother and 30 yr old son who is happy to sleep in a bunkbed, so it doesn't put people off and as Jay says opens you up for young families too.
VillaAntonioLanzarote

Feedback

Post by VillaAntonioLanzarote »

Hi
Not sure if you are still interested in feedback but here goes
Nice site - I like the menu bar at the bottom of the page as well as the top
Feedback
Your main picture "Keeston Hall Bungalow" looks a little blurred on my laptop?
I think you mentioned more photos to follow
Small thing might want to mention where the nearest general store/supermarket is and what is in the welcome pack in case people arrive late
Payment - BACs transfer might put people off , have you considered using Stripe/Wave credit card payments , you can find lots of info and feedback on the forum - we use it and it works great for us
Hope that helps
Larry
Villa Antonio Lanzarote
a place to relax & unwind
www.villaantonio.co.uk
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Hi Larry, yes any feedback welcome. Busy painting and assembling furniture. Will look into payment methods before it is ready to let I think. Will look at changing some other areas following your feedback.
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I know this area really well as I got married at the Druidstone some years back and was a keen surfer. You could make more of it's location to Newgale. I would suggest better photos. You could get some amazing photos of newgale and suggest how boards could be stored or wet suites dried etc. I would lead with some big images of newgale. Pictures of surf boards and body boards, camper vans with boards on and suggest its a good way of having the freedom with the luxury of a room lol
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

There is a website called pixabay.com and you can download free images you can use. There are so great ones of kids body boarding etc you could us.
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

This is a good image. You could suggest camping with kids sounds fun but a roof is better lol https://pixabay.com/en/surfing-baby-bea ... r-1990339/
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Thanks for the replies, we have updated the website now that we have better photos. Just need the first booking.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello,
Just a couple of comments which might help with bookings.

On your "Rates" page you list minimum stay as 7 nights, but in your FAQ page you say minimum 2 nights stay with any start day.

Some people would not look past your Rates page to see you allow short breaks as well. Often guests will test somewhere out as a short break or off season break then return later for a full week.

Also on your Rates page, you list 5 different prices for mid season. Ideally, you need prices to be the same if you want to list as low, mid high season. If you want to vary your prices more, then perhaps use other descriptors such as "early spring" as well.
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Thanks Zebedee good points I will have a look at changing the prices.