Credit/Debit Card machine

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
sas401

Credit/Debit Card machine

Post by sas401 »

I am thinking of going down the route of having a card processing terminal or virtual terminal to be able to take cards over the phone. Any recommendations please?

Also, while I have just introduced a damage deposit where children are present, I wondered if it was lawful to keep hold of card details like a hotel does and if any problems after they leave or they havent paid for additional items such as baskets of wood, can I charge their card after leaving provided I tell them of the charge?
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

Stripe is easy and cheap.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Take a look at WaveApps. Previous thread: http://bit.ly/2mpmQEN

No need to have a card terminal or to a pay monthly fee for taking cards. I think they're fantastic.
CSE

Post by CSE »

For a "virtual machine" You may have to be PCI compliant.
What happens if your phone is lost?
Ask if your bank machine has to have a CVV number for you to take any money. If not then you do not have to be PCI compliant
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
COYS

Post by COYS »

NeatandPicky wrote:Take a look at WaveApps. Previous thread: http://bit.ly/2mpmQEN

No need to have a card terminal or to a pay monthly fee for taking cards. I think they're fantastic.
Yeah. They get my vote too. Simple & secure.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

casasantoestevo wrote:For a "virtual machine" You may have to be PCI compliant.
What happens if your phone is lost?
Ask if your bank machine has to have a CVV number for you to take any money. If not then you do not have to be PCI compliant
In the UK you must be compliant regardless of whether or not you handle CCV information, as the following Compliance Guideline states:
The PCI DSS applies to ANY organization, regardless of size or number of transactions, that accepts, transmits or stores ANY cardholder data.
It’s not necessarily onerous, but you have to fill out the appropriate Self Assessment questionnaire for your level of activity and confirm that you comply.

May of course be different in other countries.
sas401

Post by sas401 »

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated , will look up wave.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Yes another big fan of Waveapp here too. They process the card through Stripe. Charges are lower than any others I've found including paypal: 1.4%(+20p) for UK cards and 2.9%(+20p) for most other countries.

You can set up a very smart looking invoice template and issue a PDF from your desktop or smartphone in a matter of minutes. The invoice contains a link for the person to click and pay online. No machine necessary.

You can see when someone has viewed an invoice and when it's been paid. You can also issue a refund without charge - which might be the answer to the OPs question about deductions.

Payments come through to you the vendor (minus the charge) in a couple of days (5 days first time).

Highly recommend.
nealh

Post by nealh »

Another +1 for Wave from me...
CSE

Post by CSE »

I would love to know how a business can comply when CC details have been stored on the phone. It is less secure than other computers.
But was it not you asking about if Booking is compliant? As far as we are concerned and coming from both sides of their customer base they never ask for a CVV number.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
sas401

Post by sas401 »

Looked up waveapp and they seem great. I will definately be setting up an account shortly.

With regards to the query on keeping card details - am i understanding this wouldnt be allowable? I am just trying to cover my back after a number of recent bad guests who think stealing is acceptable so was hoping to be able to charge for unpaid items in the same way as a hotel will for meals, room charges etc
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

casasantoestevo wrote:I would love to know how a business can comply when CC details have been stored on the phone. It is less secure than other computers.
No usable credit card details are stored on the phone. Just online access to a copy of the receipt which (if the invoice was paid by card) quotes only the last 4 digits.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

sas401 wrote:Looked up waveapp and they seem great. I will definately be setting up an account shortly.

With regards to the query on keeping card details - am i understanding this wouldnt be allowable?
With WaveApps you don't have access to card details to make deductions like hotels. But you can take a security bond via card and do a full or partial refund after the guest has left. The card fee is refunded in this event.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

However, with WaveApps, you do have a Stripe account. You can add customers and card details in Stripe.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Have a look at Revolut.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"