Dogs and Sofas: Fabric Vs Leather

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Colin C

Dogs and Sofas: Fabric Vs Leather

Post by Colin C »

We're complete newbies to this world, so we have a lot to learn. Looking forward to interacting with everyone on here as we get up to speed.

Our first question is about furnishings. Our rental, on the Llyn Peninsula, close to the beach, will be dog-friendly. What advice do people have over the choice of sofa? We like fabric, but this may create cleaning issues (dog-hair and muddy paws), so leather would seem to be more practical for its wipe-down properties? But leather feels less cosy. We could get fabric with washable covers and throws; if you've gone this route, how has it worked for you?

All thoughts welcome.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Hi Colin, welcome to LMH. I have both fabric and leather in 2 lounges. No problems so far with dogs, but I do have a strict set of rules for dog owners which I ask them to adhere to. These include dogs not allowed furniture/beds but of course you don't know what happens when you are not there. It's a risk you take when you are dog friendly.

IMHO I find children make more mess and marks than dogs.

I do have mud coloured carpet throughout which helps. Also have the Miele "cat and dog" cleaner which is great for dog hairs.
The best things in life are free
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Hi Colin

As an owner of three dogs, two of which are pretty impossible to keep of furniture and living with a large garden in a heavy clay soil area, we went for leather sofas. I find them so easy to wipe down and regularly use leather spray to condition and shine. In our kitchen/sitting/diner we have an IKEA leather sofa and it is extremely durable, comfortable with a few colourful scatter cushions (washable covers!) and the cost is not a budget breaker. It gets well abused with muddy paws and lively dogs!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

We used to have fabric with washable covers but replaced them with leather two years ago. Much better! Personally I'd go for leather every time now, for dog-friendly near the beach. Especially if you're likely to have kids staying too.
If you'd like a softer look, you can add throws and cushions.

Another option...Orvis make excellent sofa covers for dogs - not cheap but very good quality. If I was going for dog-friendly, I think I'd be tempted to use these, or something like them, even for a leather sofa (claws)
You'd need two though, one to wash and one on.

We have fabric sofas in our house and cope fine with throws (we have a large and hairy dog) but I wouldn't want to have fabric sofas with holidaymakers and their dogs.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Thanks for your suggestions so far ... seems to be leaning towards leather, though my wife is still torn. More research required, I think
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Same situation here. We are looking to renew 4 sofas (2 leather and 2 fabric). I want to go for 4 leather sofas whereas the OH wants 4 new fabric ones.

Our old leather sofas have been scratched by claws and one has a tear as well. The fabric sofas have proved a continuous cleaning struggle as long as we've had them.

As Giraffe says, it's more often children (but seeing the amount of red wine stains, not just children) who make the most mess.
We have covers on the fabric sofas, but have to wash these at just about every changeover. It always amazes us how many people sit on sofas wearing mud-caked shoe heals. There is often a tidal mark of dirt along the bottom front of our fabric sofas, which thankfully ends up on the cover.

Baby food (always red sauce), other red sauces - no doubt from pasta dishes being eaten in front of the TV, as well as stains from peanuts and crisps which have been sat on and pulverized into the covers is usually what we have to try and remove.

I think leather sofas are the safest option, which you can wipe clean and polish when they get marked. I know that some leather sofas can be uncomfortable, cold and clammy in the summer but maybe a cover for them, as Martha says, would do the trick. I have looked at the Orvis site (prices in USD), but will have to check what we can get here locally.

This thread has made up my mind - 4 leather sofas with covers, as we are dog-friendly too. Now just need to convince the OH! :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

In our three dog friendly cottages we’ve had both leather and fabric.

The answer is leather.
Decent leather, not bonded stuff.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

If you're concerned that having leather sofas might affect bookings... from the perspective of someone who hates leather sofas, it still wouldn't stop me booking. It's only for a week, and I would far rather sit on a clean leather sofa rather than a grubby fabric one.

Perspective of one, I know, but my gut feeling is that sofas are less of a deciding factor when considering a rental than bed size or what the kitchen looks like... whereas the ease of cleaning for you, is.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Definitely real leather; lasts for years - unless of course you are trying to connect to the vegan market! :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Essar wrote:Definitely real leather; lasts for years - unless of course you are trying to connect to the vegan market! :lol:
You have guests that eat the sofas.......?? :shock:
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Guess the consensus is leaning towards leather, then. Now I need to convince OH too, and source some good quality couches and throws.

Thanks for all your suggestions