Business Rates

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
jimdonut

Business Rates

Post by jimdonut »

Hi were in the middle of buying a place in Somerset and i have a question about business rates . Does anybody have a business where they're living in a house on the property , will the business rates cover the house and cottages or will i have to have council tax on the house and regs on the cottages.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Hi, that is how we are set up - live on site with 3 cottages (one of which is attached to the main property). We pay Council Tax on the house and business rates on the cottages (although where we are in Wales business rates are zero at the moment).
jimdonut

Post by jimdonut »

thanks, so that being the case im probably better off not registering until i hit the amount of yearly rentals achieved as ill be paying extra for my refuse ?
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Given that you live on site how can they distinguish between your household waste and that produced by the cottages? We just put all of ours into the same bin and don;t get charged! During peak weeks though we do also do at least 1 tip run a week with the overflow!
jimdonut

Post by jimdonut »

sounds like a good plan!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Grimmy wrote:Given that you live on site how can they distinguish between your household waste and that produced by the cottages? We just put all of ours into the same bin and don;t get charged! During peak weeks though we do also do at least 1 tip run a week with the overflow!
Not technically legal. It's very unlikely that anyone would check, but if anyone asked you how you disposed of your business waste, what would you say and what evidence could you produce? See
https://www.gov.uk/managing-your-waste- ... sibilities
jimdonut

Post by jimdonut »

Good point also if your paying council tax on just the house surely the banding should go down as it's rated for the whole property
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I would be careful on the refuse. You can be asked to provide a waste transfer license at any time. This is also true for a B&B premises. any refuse from a commercial operation should not be added to the standard refuse collection.

If you are not in a tourist area I am sure you will get away with it but where we are the council are under so much pressure they so seem to be actively looking.
Annew

Post by Annew »

jimdonut wrote:thanks, so that being the case im probably better off not registering until i hit the amount of yearly rentals achieved as ill be paying extra for my refuse ?
It's illegal to avoid paying business rates, so better to contact your local council sooner rather than later. You might be surprised and your business rates will probably be much less than the council tax for your cottage(s), particularly when relief is added.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!