How to handle complaint of noise from building work

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Saltyseagirl

How to handle complaint of noise from building work

Post by Saltyseagirl »

We just had an email from our current guests -

"Are you aware there is building work being done in the neighbouring properties on both sides?
It's rather noisy throughout the day and we are having to spend a lot of time out of apartment which we wasn't planning on doing. Whilst I understand that renavation work has to be carried out sometime if I'd of known before hand I would of booked somewhere else as have our 10 month old grandson with us who obviously naps throughout the day. "

(Not my spelling by the way!)

We let our property out of season and are lucky to have good all year round bookings but this is the traditional time for refurbishments. It's impossible to know in advance when our neighbours are going to start any works as we are surrounded by properties huddled together in our ancient harbour town.

It would be very useful to know how other owners would handle this situation. Also now that we are aware of work taking place in the neighbourhood do we have a duty to warn future guests?
The builders next door had assured us that the noisy work was over and we were not aware of any other works being carried out in the neighbourhood until this complaint. Our agent is going to look into the situation but will be asking us for our thoughts on how to proceed.
Would really appreciate any advice on this :?:
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Although I can't help myself with this I too am interested in what others have to say about this because I will be in a similar position soon.

Next door is in a bad way and is going under the auctioneers hammer next week and it needs a lot of tlc. Another nearby new build I know is going to be noisy at times too. The shell is built, the windows are going in as I write. It won't be long before the radio goes on with open windows whilst internal works is carried out.

At the mo noise is at a minimum really but it won't stay that way.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I suffered this a few years ago when the villa next door got ripped apart (we and they are detached). So if you search you will find the thread explaining my worries and actions.

Basically I kept on top of the builders as best I could, compensated those affected and pre-warned as soon as I could. I was very lucky that the first guests affected were repeats and very good about it. The 2nd ones were only affected for 3 days but I did have my neighbours place on stand by for them to use during the day when the work was taking place and i did give them a couple of bottles of wine and spoke to them regularly.

I know how difficult it is. You don't feel as if you should be losing out because it isn't you causing the noise, but put yourself in the guests shoes and it isn't nice to have your much 'looked forward' to holiday ruined. It really is a no win situation and I feel for you.

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

I really feel for you: Like Mouse, we've just been through this.

Our neighbour's detached villa was demolished Jan last year, and is still being 'rebuilt' despite assurances from the architect that it would be finished...it's nowhere near done. We had to be honest: lost our existing booking, and were honest when people enquired, sending photos of stage reached etc. Even discounting it, I couldn't blame people for not booking!

Fortunately, we have now managed to sell it, as it would be another season without bookings, and disturbed visits for us.

The boot on the other foot:
I have recently booked us a few days away (next week) in the same town (similar proximity of houses to St Ives) , and took the liberty of walking past the apartment of interest: they had builders trundling barrows etc across their patio, refurbishing the house next door...supposedly to be finished by 31st March, . The owner was unaware that it was going on (and his local agent hadn't informed him), and offered a refund if we booked, and were then disturbed.

We're going elsewhere. I have asked if these owners are aware of anything, and accept that unexpected events can occur.

You're in a very difficult situation, and IMHO you should be honest, and give people the option to cancel. Your (I'm assuming local?) agent should be able to keep you up-to-date.

There are no guarantees anywhere, but it influences my choice and I would think it does that of others, too.
Saltyseagirl

Noise complaint

Post by Saltyseagirl »

Thanks for your thoughts on this. We have offered the guest a discount on their stay and a further discount if they return.
Our agent has warned the next guests who have chosen to come regardless and we are told the noisy work will be over by the end of the week, fingers crossed.
I think it is fair to warn incoming guests as I hate it when people's well earned holidays are spoilt for any reason. Good feedback makes our day!
Loving life by the sea and sharing the dream!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Sounds like you've got it covered.....I so hope it does finish soon for you. I often thing these things are more stressful for the owner than the guest!

Mousie
x