Anyone on Instagram? Tips? Mutual support and following?

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

Felicity once you do get the hang of hashtags you will be a fan! They are much more long lasting than the ones on Twitter and provide very useful connections all over Instagram. I particularly like to look at the suggested ones (you add one and Instagram suggests others) and the way you can see how many posts there are for each so you can tell what's popular / niche.
isaxby

Post by isaxby »

Very useful stuff - many thanks all.
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

Felicity if you're into photography you'll certainly enjoy it, and you'll end up discovering a load of interesting accounts to follow if you're anything like me.

As for hashtags, basically the main way you will be found on instagram so it's important to use them well. You'll be wanting to use ones like #holidayhome your local area and sights etc. I've been experimenting, at first I was using some very general ones like #travel, but all that will get you is a load of spammy likes from irritating people. Now I'm looking at more niche ones but it's a learning process. I have mine in a spreadsheet!

Best tip is to see what others are using!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I am really looking forward to this with all your encouraging words and I think it is going to be fun looking for new photo opportunities. I have been saving for a new super duper camera and I think now is the time as I have a good excuse to spend the money. Thank you!
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

A couple of things to share: there's a lot of articles out there about instagram, though not much specifically for holiday rentals. I did find a lot of good stuff here: http://www.theshopfiles.com/tag/instagram/
and especially the article about hashtags might be helpful: http://www.theshopfiles.com/best-hashta ... -business/

Also, I am now using later.com to schedule my posts. It is free for up to 30 posts per calendar month. You can set it all up in advance and it will save sets of hashtags for you, for example you can save a set for interiors, a set for landscapes etc. Instagram does not allow other apps to post directly, but when the time comes to publish the post Later sends a reminder to your phone and it's all done with a couple of clicks. So this way hopefully I'll have the posting side of things covered with minimal time and effort going forward.
964kevin

Re: Anyone on Instagram? Tips? Mutual support and following?

Post by 964kevin »

Kirigiwi wrote:I just started an Instagram account, no idea if it will work, but it makes more sense to me than twitter as a visual medium. It also seems to be growing strongly at the moment and I know that in other sectors it is a great way to drive traffic to your website.

So, anyone else out there? Do you have any tips for hashtags or good accounts to follow? Anyone have any examples of successful accounts for holiday rentals on Instagram?

My account is https://www.instagram.com/villaarmeni/ if anyone cares to follow me I'll happily follow back!
Hi.

great advice, thanks. I'm a bit new to this so thank you.

Now following you as encantada.vacation
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Thank you Kirigiwi for all your advice!

I just started my account a few weeks ago and use it for my Dublin apartment as well as my cottage. I have a pathetic number of followers and just a few likes. I suspect I have to study the hashtag thing a bit more. In fact my worst photos are of kite surfers and they have the most likes so the hashtag kitesurfing evidently brought them there. I still haven't got my new camera (hopefully soon) so I have put some not so great photos on mine, mostly taken with an iphone 5. I am following you now as www.instagram.com/sansome_cottage

I wish one could deal with it from a computer. I am managing with an ipad sometimes as that is easier than fiddling with a phone but that way, they don't suggest hashtags.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I signed up for Instagram as a complete newbie and fell at the first hurdle since I can't seem to upload any photos to it! Am I right in thinking that I can't add photos from my laptop? I don't use my phone for photos much because I've got a digital SLR and download everything from it straight to my PC. What do people do in that situation?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

You can only post from a phone. This is what I do:
Put the photos into Dropbox, it functions just like an extra folder on your computer. When you're choosing a photo in Instagram you'll find Dropbox under "other" in the drop down menu. Make a google doc with your tags you can edit it on your pc then open the doc on your phone and just copy and past int instagram.

You can also use later.com - upload your photos from Dropbox or Google drive, then the later app will prompt you to post to your instagram
GRL

Post by GRL »

You can post from a laptop if you use a programme such as Bluestacks. It isn't ideal but works for those of us who don't yet have smart phones (Yes - we do exist). Once I have uploaded a photo and text/hashtags via Bluestacks I use my laptop to like and comment on other photos.
katz

Post by katz »

I've recently started on Instagram too. Still getting to grips with it but I know it has driven traffic to my website which makes it worthwhile. You can find me at https://www.instagram.com/tyhirgitefinistere Will follow those of you who have posted your link on here :-)
Last edited by katz on Thu May 11, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I've followed everyone who's posted links. I use Dropbox but never tried it on my phone so I'll have a go with that and the apps you mentioned, thanks.

Katz - your url has an extra full stop at the end which has broken it (I just deleted the full stop from the address bar to get the right page).
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
katz

Post by katz »

Joanna, thanks! Will edit it now.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

katz - have you mistyped something? I can't get your page to load? Oops, sorry. Missed that this had been pointed out!

In order to post from my ipad and not fill up dropbox or the cloud with photos, i emailed some to myself and posted direct from there. That seems to work fine. I too, like Joanna, would prefer to post from my Mac so I might look into bluestacks. Thanks Rosie.
katz

Post by katz »

Felicity I had a full stop at the end (added it because it was the end of a sentence...I've fixed it now :-)