TV d'Orange

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
ronsat

TV d'Orange

Post by ronsat »

After our TV antenna broke for a second time, I decided to get a TV decodeur from Orange. Since we have a Livebox plan, the use of the decodeur is free - and it does get you 160 channels.

But - even with the parental controls and adults controls set at their strictest limit - it appears that a renter could rent or purchase childrens programs and subscribe us to premium packages. Is there a way of preventing this?

Because of this issue, I am thinking of replacing the TV antenna, and removing the decodeur during the time that our place has renters. Most of our renters don't watch French TV much, and the 30 channels or so we get over the air are sufficient. Note that we also have a satellite dish for Freesat from the UK.
We are Canadians who love spending time in Languedoc.
http://www.languedocvacationhome.ca
MdV

Post by MdV »

I found the same problem and couldn't see a way around it. So I took out the decoder, bought an inernal arial and French free view box which are not that expensive and works just fine.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ronsat, I'm curious as to why your aerial broke - you're a bit higher than us in Neffies, but not a lot - was it the wind or what? We're in Magalas, and so far our aerial has survived, it's the 130 cm satellite dish I worry about every time the wind gets up!

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
ronsat

Post by ronsat »

Moliere wrote:Ronsat, I'm curious as to why your aerial broke - you're a bit higher than us in Neffies, but not a lot - was it the wind or what? We're in Magalas, and so far our aerial has survived, it's the 130 cm satellite dish I worry about every time the wind gets up!

Mols
Hi Moliere. It was an over-the-air aerial that broke. The square metal rod that joins the rear reflector to the front yagi part broke - probably due to vibration from the wind. Seems that these antennas (purchased at BricoMarche in Pezenas) have that problem - as this is the second one that broke in that way in 5 years. I have no problem with our satellite dish (ours is 110cm). I will try out one of the TV reception stores in Roujan to see if they have a better-built aerials.
We are Canadians who love spending time in Languedoc.
http://www.languedocvacationhome.ca
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hi again, Ronsat. I think you're right - the DIY store aerials might be a bit flimsy. Ours was professionally installed 15 years ago and has lasted thus far, so if you're having troubles, that might be the way to go. The Roujan guys seem well-regarded, so worth a try.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

We were warned not to put a livebox in the Gite as guests could generate large bills without us knowing. Instead we put a free sat box in, approx 90€. No complaints so far