Saniflow toilet

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Until manufacturers are compelled to stop labelling moist tissues etc as “Flushable” (they aren’t as they don’t degrade quickly enough, but on a mains drainage system that’s only the sewer workers’ problem, so that’s okay...) and label them with “DO NOT FLUSH" those of us with septic tank drainage or long pipe runs will continue to have problems with guests flushing them. Despite all the notices, spelling it out in detail, warnings, threats... :evil:

Here’s a nice article from The Guardian with a link to an online petition from the Marine Conservation Society.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I have shared the petition on my Facebook Greenbarn :)
loveka

Post by loveka »

Just for future readers, the saniflo is now in.

The noise is very short, so fine in that respect. However, it does go off on its own as soon as you use the toilet, i.e. you don't have to flush. So I am worried about it waking guests in the night.

I am considering recommend ing that they shut it off at night, but what if they don't remember to switch it back on?!

We really had no choice at all but to have it if we wanted a second bathroom.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

loveka wrote: I am considering recommend ing that they shut it off at night, but what if they don't remember to switch it back on?!
You definitely must not do this. Urine may damage the unit if you don't flush after using the toilet.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Have you checked that the cistern overflow is adjusted correctly? If not it will be slowly filling the pan (& therefore the saniflo)
The pump shouldn't run unless a flush triggers the internal volume valve (float valve in old money)
As newtimber says, switching off is not the answer.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I wouldn't worry, if the toilet's been used they will be awake anyway. Don't let anyone switch it off!

I agree with a previous poster who said to make it clear what the cost is for blocking it, by the way. Really focuses the mind. Make sure you have a notice too, clearly stating that even products labelled as 'flushable' will block it instantly. I have become militant about this after bitter experience!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
golfing girl

Post by golfing girl »

The biggest mistake we made was having a saniflo!
Don't ever switch off. Put up labels and even when you say "only the toilet paper provided by us" is to be used they still use wet wipes!!
We eventally had ours taken out
Best of luck.
I wish I was on the golf course
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

We have had a Saniflo in one holiday house bedroom for seven years. When it goes wrong, it is a nightmare as the cost of a new one is £800. It has only been blocked when guests have put inappropriate things down it. A major problem is that the engineers cannot come out immediately - they usually need a couple of days' notice.

One thing to mention is that more than lavatory water goes through mine and so when a guest tried to clean the floor up with the nearby shower, she made it worse. You need to check if this applies to yours.

I now have this large notice, most in large typeface (since this notice, touch wood, we have had no blockages - yet):

This loo operates on a Sani-Flo system

Only for disposal of human waste and loo paper

NO FOREIGN OBJECTS
No sanitary towels
No cotton buds
No condoms
No food
No wet wipes
No nappies
No kitchen roll
No metal, plastic or wooden objects
No solvent fluids
No bleach

Blockages cause the motor to burn out and a replacement costs £800.
The last two blockages have been caused by
(1) wet wipes and (2) a child’s knickers