What tog rating for quilts?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Running Chrissy

What tog rating for quilts?

Post by Running Chrissy »

Hi
Just spotted that Debenhams Blue Cross sale has started with some good reductions on Fogarty quilts. We're about 6-8months away from starting to let but I am keen to stock up to spread the furnishing load.

Please can I have recommendations for what tog level you go for? Cottage will be let all year round, although we will provide extra blankets in winter so just a good general level for the quilt.

Thank you!

Chrissy
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I put 13.5 in at first and got grumbles they were too warm. I now have 10.5 on the master bed but left the 13.5 on the singles.

Everyone now seems happy (but we have heating on 24/7 being a stone cottage up a Welsh mountain)
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

buy the all season ones - a 4.5 attached to a 10.5 - can be used apart or together to make a 15.5 for when it is really cold.......
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

petitbois wrote:buy the all season ones - a 4.5 attached to a 10.5 - can be used apart or together to make a 15.5 for when it is really cold.......
How cold do you think it's going to get at night? If the guests have any heating on, they'll boil in a 15.5 tog duvet!
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

depends where you are & your heating system - here in SW France it has been known to drop down to -19'C during the winter....some of our older French regulars like lots of togs during those months
Running Chrissy

Thanks all. It's in Cornwall and has central heating. I expect that in winter it will get a bit chilly but not usually frosty (Gulf stream!)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

10.5 tog all year round in Norfolk. I don't have room to store anything else, and I provide a blanket that can go on top if needed. No complaints yet. :)
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

10.5 tog in both Devon and Chester with white covers and a coloured quilted throw that can also be used for extra warmth in the winter.

Both houses are centrally heated, although, ironically, the Chester one is warmer - it's a mid terrace and seems to be quite well insulated so 13.5 would be too warm for most people even in mid winter.

We do also have summer weight ones (about 4 tog I think) that I leave in a duvet bag in the wardrobes so guests can swap if they get too hot in the summer. I don't think they get used very often!
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

After some debate I went for 10.5 tog in cornwall. I also provide blankets for winter. I may buy some 4.5 tog if we have a very hot summer but I'm not holding my breath!
Running Chrissy

I dunno Jenster, we got sunburnt yesterday on the north coast! :oops:

Sounds like 10.5 is the way to go, thanks
Making a start in North Cornwall 🌊
Comriest

Post by Comriest »

I am in Cornwall too and in our thick granite walled cottage we have 10.5 in the autumn / winter and 4.5 in the late spring / summer. It's worked well in the 4 years we have been renting. I change to the heavy & back to the light around the same time we do at home although I do normally check with all guests around those dates that they are happy with the arrangement. No complaints so far! Good luck :-)
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

We go for 13.5 in a breezy house in Scotland. Ideally, we would have separate summer duvets but we don't have enough spare storage for that.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day