This Video just about sums it up!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Barbara Ann

This Video just about sums it up!

Post by Barbara Ann »

Scroll to the bottom of this page on Tripelli.com and watch the video. I've already put my houses on there, but I know most people on here are in the UK and I think Tripelli only covers Florida, but the message is still true for all of us.

https://www.tripelli.com/about/
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Agreed.
thejenk

Post by thejenk »

I put my home on their .com site as it was free. Time will tell how these new sites prosper, but without our support there will never by alternatives to HA and the likes.

Also, they're not just in Florida, check out tripelli.co.uk. Looks like they have properties all over.
paolo

Post by paolo »

thejenk wrote:without our support there will never by alternatives to HA and the likes.
Don't you think it is the dream for all these start-ups to become the next homeaway? I remember when the different parts of homeaway spoke just like this to us. Holiday-rentals had a dog as part of the office team, vrbo had a travelling teddy bear. They were one of us, they would always be our friends, they....oh wait a minute, is that a chequebook?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
COYS

Post by COYS »

paolo wrote:
thejenk wrote:without our support there will never by alternatives to HA and the likes.
Don't you think it is the dream for all these start-ups to become the next homeaway? I remember when the different parts of homeaway spoke just like this to us. Holiday-rentals had a dog as part of the office team, vrbo had a travelling teddy bear. They were one of us, they would always be our friends, they....oh wait a minute, is that a chequebook?
I suppose that depends on whether you value your dollar bills over your ethics. No reason why a successful businesses would not recognise the value of their customer base. I've said it before & I'm yet to be convinced otherwise; biggest does not = best.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

paolo wrote:
Don't you think it is the dream for all these start-ups to become the next homeaway?
How would you structure a company and share ownership to avoid this? Some companies such as John Lewis seem to manage it.

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/ ... rship.html

Instead of employee-owned, we need holiday-owner-owned.

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/ ... _guide.pdf
CSE

Post by CSE »

paolo wrote: Don't you think it is the dream for all these start-ups to become the next homeaway? I remember when the different parts of homeaway spoke just like this to us. Holiday-rentals had a dog as part of the office team, vrbo had a travelling teddy bear. They were one of us, they would always be our friends, they....oh wait a minute, is that a chequebook?
Just like these guys too.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... uity-house

Nigel Goodwin wrote:
How would you structure a company and share ownership to avoid this? Some companies such as John Lewis seem to manage it.

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/ ... rship.html

Instead of employee-owned, we need holiday-owner-owned.

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/ ... _guide.pdf
John Lewis: Wonder how long they will last for now? Opposites attract?
http://www.theindustrylondon.com/sports ... debenhams/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:Some companies such as John Lewis seem to manage it.
We tried that here with Your Holiday Matters. A lot of goodwill and effort was expended, and it didn't work.

Tripelli say:
We're currently seeking funding for advertising and once the site is launched, we'll charge a nominal property fee for the first year, and low standard fees thereafter. But we'll do our utmost to support both homeowners and guests by keeping costs as low as possible.
Every big site would have said the same when they started and in fact would still say the same now.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
COYS

Post by COYS »

paolo wrote:
Nigel Goodwin wrote:Some companies such as John Lewis seem to manage it.
We tried that here with Your Holiday Matters. A lot of goodwill and effort was expended, and it didn't work.

Tripelli say:
We're currently seeking funding for advertising and once the site is launched, we'll charge a nominal property fee for the first year, and low standard fees thereafter. But we'll do our utmost to support both homeowners and guests by keeping costs as low as possible.
Every big site would have said the same when they started and in fact would still say the same now.
But surely the fact that there is such momentum in new start ups & alternatives at present proves the point that not everybody is happy or willing to roll over quietly & be dictated to.
My full support & more power to each & every one of them I say.
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

Yeah, same old story. Many owners 'talk the talk’, very few will ‘walk the walk’.

Aside from running some holiday properties (in a market which seems more volatile and price-dependent almost by the day) I run a listing site. Have done since 1999. I’m not here to plug it, and it’s not relevant to 99.8% of people here anyway. We have decent, responsive layout, a CMS which gives advertisers really detailed control, and a 0%-commission booking system which integrates with Stripe (within the price) for those who wish to use it. It’s not as cool as Airbnb, but then we don’t have £millions to throw at it. Advertisers can include a link to their website, and display two phone numbers on the page. We have plenty of traffic, and the average subscriber gets 25 enquiries per year, plus whatever comes in by phone or as a result of the web link. The advertisers who make an effort tend to get more response, and those who abandon it do less well, as is to be expected.

So it’s just what everyone wants? No it isn’t. Just yesterday I lost an advertiser who’d had 83 enquiries over the last year. Found the property on Airbnb, Her guests are probably paying, in ’service fees’, 10 times our annual subscription.

To make ends meet we monetise the traffic by polluting the site with affiliate feeds and Adsense. It’s a hiding to nothing. Unless owners make effective use of genuinely effective independent sites (and there still are some out there) they will all be gone in a couple of years.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Bordering wrote:Unless owners make effective use of genuinely effective independent sites (and there still are some out there) they will all be gone in a couple of years.
Point well made & I couldn't agree more Bordering.

I love a moan just as much as any disgruntled owner, (who'd have guessed!) but unless we are prepared to back the independents & exercise some patience we will remain as pocket filling puppets for the big boys.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

paolo wrote: Every big site would have said the same when they started and in fact would still say the same now.
Paulo, that's all very depressing. Where would you recommend that owners advertise?