Keyless front door locks

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
bythesea

Keyless front door locks

Post by bythesea »

I am sure I have seen on here previously a thread which mentioned key less front door locks (a keypad system), can anyone point me in the right direction please?
I am trying to find one that would meet insurance requirements etc. Any opinions on whether this is a good idea also welcome!
Many thanks :)
Woz

Keyless door locks

Post by Woz »

I have just installed RemoteLocks Smarlocks on both our front and rear doors of our holiday cottage. They are wi-fi enabled which allows you to set multiple guest access codes which only become active between your chosen check in/ out dates and times. They work really well, guests love them and so far we have had great reliability from them.

Full details of the locks are available at www.smartlock.co.uk

We have fitted the model 5iA to our front door (replaces Yale style lock) and a model 6i mortice lock to our rear door.
bythesea

Post by bythesea »

That's great, I will have a look. Thank you :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Here you go:
www.codelocks.co.uk/cl5000.html

I have the ones with the additional deadbolt which meet fire requirements in that they don’t need a key to open them from inside. I see they now do smart versions as well.
greenbarn

Re: Keyless door locks

Post by greenbarn »

wozzaturner wrote:I have just installed RemoteLocks Smarlocks on both our front and rear doors of our holiday cottage. They are wi-fi enabled which allows you to set multiple guest access codes which only become active between your chosen check in/ out dates and times. They work really well, guests love them and so far we have had great reliability from them.

Full details of the locks are available at www.smartlock.co.uk

We have fitted the model 5iA to our front door (replaces Yale style lock) and a model 6i mortice lock to our rear door.
Those look a good option too. From a quick scan of the info on their website I get the impression that certainly some of them are a straightforward swap for an existing Yale type lock - is that what you found or did it need a fair bit of work?

There’s a real bonus with these type of locks - we ask the guests to choose their own 4-digit code; that way they tend to remember it! (It often gives us a clue as to their age as well - year of birth is a popular code!)
Woz

Post by Woz »

greenbarn wrote:From a quick scan of the info on their website I get the impression that certainly some of them are a straightforward swap for an existing Yale type lock - is that what you found or did it need a fair bit of work?
Both 5i and 6i RemoteLocks are quite easy to fit if you have basic tools. The 5i is a fairly straightforward Yale night-latch lock style replacement, but does need a wider bore hole cutting through the door. We were having some building work done on our cottage and asked our builder to fit both locks. He managed both really quickly and they are really easy to link to wifi. The online lock management system is great and you can set whatever PIN you or your guests like for each booking. I've also set up our cleaners with separate codes, builders/ handyman too. I also get an email or text alert when guests use their PIN the first time (ie. at check in) to know when they have arrived. This allows me to call them about half an hour later to check that all is OK etc.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

wozzaturner wrote:
greenbarn wrote:From a quick scan of the info on their website I get the impression that certainly some of them are a straightforward swap for an existing Yale type lock - is that what you found or did it need a fair bit of work?
Both 5i and 6i RemoteLocks are quite easy to fit if you have basic tools. The 5i is a fairly straightforward Yale night-latch lock style replacement, but does need a wider bore hole cutting through the door. We were having some building work done on our cottage and asked our builder to fit both locks. He managed both really quickly and they are really easy to link to wifi. The online lock management system is great and you can set whatever PIN you or your guests like for each booking. I've also set up our cleaners with separate codes, builders/ handyman too. I also get an email or text alert when guests use their PIN the first time (ie. at check in) to know when they have arrived. This allows me to call them about half an hour later to check that all is OK etc.
Sounds good. We’re on site so I haven’t really had the need for remote management and I’ve been very pleased with the Codelocks. For an offsite owner the smart version of the Codelock, or the Smartlock, has to be money (albeit a fair chunk!) well spent.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

The only problem is that wifi key locks can be hacked into.
It might be worthwhile waiting a bit longer before buying the wireless versions whilst that gets sorted.
Also I would suggest you check that you are covered by your insurance company.

We have a keyless system at home now, and OH did a lot of research when we bought that system. We are covered by our insurance as we also have a mortice lock so in fact much more secure and safer than using 2 keys if someone gets their hands on your keys.
At the time we made our purchase ( not that long ago) the wifi system would not have been covered by our insurance. It's a real shame as the idea is excellent.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

zebedee wrote:The only problem is that wifi key locks can be hacked into.
At the time we made our purchase ( not that long ago) the wifi system would not have been covered by our insurance. It's a real shame as the idea is excellent.
Interesting point. Being on site and having non-wifi electronic codelocks the only way someone can hack it is to mug me as I stroll over from our house to the barn to change the code, hold a gun to my head and force me to talk. That’s a risk I’m prepared to take!

From the insurer’s POV, when it comes to a holiday let I wonder which is the biggest risk: the guest has a key and nips off and gets a copy made, there’s a fixed mechanical type codelock (or key safe) that rarely or never has the code changed, or a lock that has a new code for each guest but could be hacked by someone suitably internet savvy? Or of course, the guest who leaves and decides it would be helpful to air the place and leaves all the doors and windows open... :roll:
bythesea

Post by bythesea »

That's all really helpful, thank you :)
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

What a fabulous idea these locks are. The worry I had a few weeks ago about a potential guest taking a copy of the house keys would be solved by coded locks that have codes for each guest which only work during their holiday dates. I'd still have refused the booking tho'. I'm going to look at that idea straight away and hope I can get the insurers' buy in to the idea. So much safer than handing all keys over to 25+ groups of people each year. Thank you L M H for another good idea.
Goscar

Post by Goscar »

We are currently house-sitting at a property with a keyless entry system. It works well from our perspective and relieves us of the worry of getting locked out, which, when you think about it, is a prerequisite for a house-sitter. That and not losing the dog!

www.yalestore.co.uk/keyless-connected-smart-lock.html
Marylin

Post by Marylin »

zebedee wrote:The only problem is that wifi key locks can be hacked into.
It might be worthwhile waiting a bit longer before buying the wireless versions whilst that gets sorted.
Also I would suggest you check that you are covered by your insurance company.

We have a keyless system at home now, and OH did a lot of research when we bought that system. We are covered by our insurance as we also have a mortice lock so in fact much more secure and safer than using 2 keys if someone gets their hands on your keys.
Hi Zeebedee,

If you're looking for a smart lock that works offline, you can try igloohome mortise. I have this lock myself not only for security reasons (hacking!) but because my properties are all in remote areas that don't have very strong WiFi connection, so locks that require WiFi aren't really an option for me.

It has all the features of a Lockstate 6i, like remotely creating temporary pins for your guests. But its more affordable and has a sleeker design.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Thanks, I will look into this.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Marylin wrote: If you're looking for a smart lock that works offline, you can try igloohome mortise. I have this lock myself not only for security reasons (hacking!) but because my properties are all in remote areas that don't have very strong WiFi connection, so locks that require WiFi aren't really an option for me.

It has all the features of a Lockstate 6i, like remotely creating temporary pins for your guests. But its more affordable and has a sleeker design.
Hi Marilyn, and welcome to the forum.
The idea behind these new locks looks interesting. I’m guessing you have some connection with the company, so do you know if or when they will be available in the UK?