Vaping: residual smells?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Pirou

Vaping: residual smells?

Post by Pirou »

I found a previous mention of this subject from a few years ago.

http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic ... light=vape

Looks like it was generally decided then that vaping in the property wasn't something for owners to worry about. It's not something I've thoguht about covering in terms & conditions (just standard no tobacco smoking) but my caretaker cum cleaner has just emailed to say that there's a sweet very artificial smell in one of the bedrooms and the lounge / kitchen area. She thinks the smell is the result of vaping and I should ban their use in the house.

I have no practical experience of them at all either first or second hand. Is the general consensus still that the scented liquids don't taint rooms, furniture and curtains etc? For all I know the guests bought air fresheners (I hate them) and that's what she's smelling rather than the result of vaping.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Vaping doesn't emit smoke to affect your furniture, it does emit a small amount of water vapour. Certain flavours could conceivably linger in the atmosphere for a while (vanilla is particularly noticeable, I think) but I'm doubting whether the traces would last long enough to be detectable after an interval. It's possible, I suppose with a heavy user, but the air freshener idea seems just as likely.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The aroma in the vaped mist is no worse than cheap perfume, excessive aftershave or BO and lasts less long. If those aren't banned, how can you ban vaping ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I'm with e-richard... I've never had anyone vaping in the gite, but have had to air rooms following the overuse of pungent aftershave. It's not feasible to ban aftershave, so I wouldn't bother upsetting vapers by banning their activity. The smell should be gone in a couple of hours... and if not, I find my own cleaning products (Aldi's finest!) usually do the job in masking any lingering odours!
CSE

Post by CSE »

just standard no tobacco smoking
What about smoking other leaf products? :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ecosse wrote:. I've never had anyone vaping in the gite
How do you know? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Moliere wrote:
Ecosse wrote:. I've never had anyone vaping in the gite
How do you know? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: good point... okay, I have never knowingly had anyone vaping in the gite. I have had people think they can hide the fact they've been smoking, though... er, no... give me vaping over smoking any day!
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

Thank you everyone, I'm reassurred.

The couple who do our caretaking / cleaning are real perfectionists (which is great of course) but it does make it difficult to refuse to take their advice on something but on this occasion I will. I will also give my thought that as it was muck-spreading on fields season when these guests were in situ, it's as likely they were using air fresheners because of outside smells as leaving vaping smells behind.