Self Storage

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
brightmike

Self Storage

Post by brightmike »

I have a buyer for my house and need to put stuff (1/2 a garage worth) into storage for a couple of months until a new house is found.

The big storage companies seem really expensive so would like a cheaper solution. I would only plan to dump everything there once and pick it up again once I move so no lead to visit often. Moving from West London to Brighton so anywhere in between would be good. Perhaps I just need to spend a bit of time on Goggle. Any ideas?
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

When my elderly father moved he didn't have space for all his belongings. The extra items were stored at Big Yellow. We could go as necessary, sort stuff and gradually get rid of it. It seemed to work well.
Sorry I do not know what the cost was.
Last edited by Fleur on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleur
teapot

Post by teapot »

Not sure if they are anywhere near you but Surguard do the 1st month for £1
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

No sure I could run to £1 :)

There is a Surguard very local to the house in London so will give that a look. I imagine would have to go to about 3 months form finding somewhere to completion.
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We used these people in Chichester five years ago
http://www.sentryselfstorage.co.uk/chic ... rylane.htm

We had a large container which we were told would hold the contents of a three bedroom house. We certainly had it stuffed full of some furniture and loads of boxes of china and glass, and we had keys and could go in and out whenever we needed to. From memory it was somewhere around £170 a month and we used it for about ten months while we were having work done on the house we had moved into. I would still have it now to keep 'stuff' in, but my husband decided we should bite the bullet and unload it, and of course take a lot to the tip and the hospice shop.
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

Hi
I run a storage business just outside of Brighton, we are pretty full up at the mo but may be able to fit your stuff in!
Web site is here - www.the-inner-space.co.uk

Don't charge nearly as much as the big companies :)

Katie
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I used a removal firm many years ago. They packed the stuff into containers and then took them away into storage. When I wanted the stuff back, they delivered them back and unpacked. I've no idea how the cost compares to the self storage that has sprung up since.
FaithfulTravels

Post by FaithfulTravels »

I typically use the storage center that is the closest/ most convenient. In our area they all seem to be around the same general price. We also have a small one near our rental property that has our personal belongings (there is no secure storage on the property) that we don't want to transport back and forth.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Have you tried renting a garage? Some of them around us are rented out for storage on short term basis. Have a look on Gumtree or local FB pages.
CSE

Post by CSE »

if you really cannot afford to pay for 24 hour guarding of your property then do not throw it away, please think about a charity shop or two.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As it was nearly 18 months ago I’m guessing that brightmike found a solution - or has run up a hefty storage fee...
kg1

Post by kg1 »

:D Ha. Didn't notice !!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Me neither. Also the link in the revival post looks like spam as it is for the USA not the UK.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.