Gardening steep banks preventing erosion

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Swales

Gardening steep banks preventing erosion

Post by Swales »

Does anyone have any tips on planting for very banks?
We have any area (above our pool !!!!). Very steep sunny bank that we need more planting on to prevent erosion. Can anyone suggest suitable plants. We have read about Vetiver grass but have not been able to get first hand info about maintaining it or reallybsee what it looks like year round. Thank you
CSE

Post by CSE »

Where in Spain might help. Things like hot weather, cold weather, watering, sea air, soil and many other things can have an influence on what you plant.
Why is the soil eroding? Have you had a long period of rain followed by a very dry period or visa-versa?
How long has this been going on? Would not a reinforced wall be a better solution?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Can you terrace it?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Casscat wrote:Can you terrace it?
Can't tell much without a photograph, but terracing involving a neat dwarf wall at the base of the slope and then back-filling would reduce the angle.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I also have a problem with erosion on a steep bank behind my back garden in the UK. the bank leads down to a mill stream.

Stream is undercutting bank.... which is 3 metres high

Would welcome suggestions
Swales

Steep slope

Post by Swales »

I am in the Axarquia region of Andalucia. Don't think Terracing would be possible. Mixture of loose slatey rock and soil. Would really like some plants that spread quickly to hold the ground and have a good root system I have heard that the vetiver grass works well although they do appear to be mixed reviews with it success.
Vera

Post by Vera »

cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Creeper will cover, protect and drain with very little maintainance. Looks nice too. I have a 30m x 4m high back rock and earth cutting behind my house that used to have rocks and dirt fall down. That is solved now with the creeper I have.
CSE

Post by CSE »

We grown vines around here on the steep land. :)
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.