A question about cleaning after dogs.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Jemima Copping

A question about cleaning after dogs.

Post by Jemima Copping »

We have a predicament about dogs. We state on our advertising that we don't accept dogs. How ever, we got a booking from one of our very first guests who wanted to bring his chihuaha. We hummed and hawed, but eventually decide he could bring the dog and give us a security deposit just in case. He came along with the dog, he left and after inspecting the property we gave him back his deposit. After he left, we had another guest for a week.
Then we had a couple for another week, there didn't seem to be any problem at the time. They were very friendly and left a very nice comment in our visitors' book and also on Airbnb gave us a great review. Except, they sent a pm saying that they had been disappointed because they had realized that a dog had been there, one was allergic and they'd had to do a deep cleaning on arrival.
Now, we had set aside a week for our son, his family and their dog. The dog is a cockapoo puppy, and can't be (apparently) left alone for a second, they don't want us to have to keep him in our house as we aren't used to dogs, and I am reluctant to have him in our rental cottage because I am afraid the same thing will happen as with the chihuahua. MH suggests we ask our son to leave a day early so we can do a deep clean-whatever that means-and I was wondering if any of the Hatters could tell me what this entails? I was really looking forward to seeing them so much as they live so far away and we don't get to see them very often. Any suggestions gratefully received!
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I don't think cockapoos shed hairs, which is why they have become a very popular designer mongral breed.

The "poo" is part of "poodle" and they (poodles) don'ot shed hairs so people allergic to other dogs can actually own poodles without any problem whatsoever.
Martha

Post by Martha »

A difficult situation for everyone, I do feel for you all!

A lot depends on the house - does it have carpets? curtains? fabric sofas and chairs?

But I have to say that I think this is going to be difficult, if the presence of a chihuahua caused problems after two weeks. It might seem a touch extreme but is there any way you could swap houses for the stay?
You could stay in the rental cottage (always good to do this! You learn a lot!) and they could stay in your house?

Because if the rental cottage is marketed as 'no dogs' and you are getting bookings from allergy sufferers, in my experience it takes more than a day to completely remove all allergens.

We have a dog ourselves, and I have a good friend who is seriously allergic, and I'm amazed at how little it takes to set her off.

I know that one of the ideas behind poodle crosses is that they are less allergenic, but it's unpredictable from dog to dog, and person to person - it's absolutely not something that can be relied on.

Some people find that they are less allergic to poodles, and poodle mixes, but not all. And as the dog's still a puppy, it's (a) an unknown quantity as far as its shedding is concerned, there are variations in the coat of all these mixes and (b) it could well be in a stage of shedding its puppy fur as all dogs do, including the poodle mixes.

Another option could be to contact the next (say) four week's worth of guests and check for allergy sufferers?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Thank you both for your replies. First of all, I read that it is not the actual hairs that people are allergic to, but the dander so it doesn't matter whether the dog sheds hairs or not.
My husband is allergic to cats but only found out after one of our cats licked his hand,he rubbed his eye and his face swelled up!
The idea of us swapping houses is an idea Martha, but since they are going to be staying for only 4 nights it means we will have 3 days to clean the place. We have fabric covered furniture, a wooden floor and removable rugs and cushions and curtains which can also be removed. If we steam cleaned the sofa and washed the chair covers would that do the trick do you think? Is there any cleaning product which can neutralize the allergen?
I have thought of asking my following guests about allergies actually and giving them the option to cancel.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes, that's true...it's really the dander that is generally the problem, but the shed hair carries it, so a lower shedding dog is usually easier for a sufferer. But not always...our dog barely sheds at all, but she sets off a terrible reaction in our friend, just by being near her, even out of doors. She can even tell when a mutual friend visits her after visiting us!

The problem is that you can clean and clean, but the dander floats in the air, and settles on surfaces for (potentially) months afterwards. It gets into everywhere, and it clings to surfaces like walls and ceilings due to its shape. Steam cleaning is good - dusting and other dry methods are worse than useless, they just fill the air with it. Allergy sufferers often use a HEPA air filter, which will help clean the dander from the air, and you can get HEPA filters for vacuum cleaners, but it's extremely difficult to get every particle out in the space of a few days.

Maybe have a look on some allergy sufferers' sites for deep cleaning ideas. Do you know anyone local with a dog allergy who could come round and check?

Are they crate training the puppy? Where will he or she sleep?
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

He will be in a crate while asleep. And there is only one bedroom with a door which I think would be difficult for a dog to open as it is a sliding door. I was thinking of looking around on fb for an air filter to borrow, they are so expensive to buy. Does leaving all the windows open help do you think for a few days? It has just occurred to me that we would probably have to turn the sofa upside down and clean as well, . Plus our family's clothes will carry the particles too, which will get into the bedroom. I think I'd better get in touch with my guests and see if they have any problems before deciding, the trouble is that they will have problems rebooking a place at this stage, our son looked for somewhere else to but everything which is a reasonable price is booked already.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Can you contact the next guests in and ask if they booked you specifically because you are pet free? Do they have allergies? Say that someone else would like to book but they want to bring a dog, would this cause them a problem. You are asking them as a curtesy as they booked first! You may find out they just booked because they like your cottage, nothing to do with dogs. If they do have allergies then swopping houses is the best solution.
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Perhaps you should change your advertising to say one dog accepted by prior arrangement with extra charge etc. Otherwise people may be booking on the assumption there has never been a dog in the property when this is clearly not the case now you have accepted a dog.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Thanks for all suggestions. I have asked my son if they would like to stay in our house with us in the cottage, as Martha suggested, but keeping the puppy to one room only.
I just feel that my family is more important to me and if the puppy destroys a cushion or a plant, so be it! He says he would like to do the swap, but had to ask his wife who is out at the moment. I have now learned my lesson and it's strictly no dogs under any circumstances!
I've just been doing the cleaning, and discovered more very small dog hairs under the throw on the sofa-the little blighters didn't want to let go-I had to pull some out by hand.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Is it not the case that you can't refuse a person with an assistance dog as it would be discrimination? So, as owners we can never guarantee to have a completely dog free environment.

The best we can do is contact guests and advise them, giving them the option to cancel if they are genuinely very allergic. Perhaps something in our t's and c's to the effect that anyone severely allergic should contact us before booking.

In your case, Jemima, I think I'd probably contact the next few guests and ask if they have a problem. Obviously tell them it's a non shedding breed, and that the house will be thoroughly deep cleaned between guests.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

I think that situation os not likely to happen Amanda, there are plenty of dog friendly properties around. My daughter-in -law has agreed to stay in our house and we will stay in the cottage, which we have never done in the 3 years since we built it! I must thank all you kind people who have taken the trouble to reply to my post- I hope you all have a great season with plenty of bookings and great weather!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We had a peak season booking a few years ago that realised several weeks after paying their deposit that we accepted dogs, and her hubby had allergies. We don't actually get that many doggy visitors especially in winter, and I was able to assure her that our visit with dogs would be the last one before their arrival, and there was a 6 week gap. In those days we were fully booked well before the ski season started. There was no feedback, so hopefully all was well, and nothing was mentioned to our manager.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My thoughts are that "A no dogs policy" should mean exactly that, "All your guests" and should even include your own and those of your family and friends.

Allowing just one is the thin end of the wedge, a slippery slope to "getting away with it once" and a second time until you may get a tad complacent. Because you got away with it once, twice ok maybe a few times it becomes the norm and the rules are bent more often.

What will you do next time? Getting away with it this once! may make you do it again next time.

No dogs should mean No dogs.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Sounds needlessly militant to me :) If you were advertising as "no dogs allowed, suitable for dog allergy sufferers" then maybe. But if you're not advertising for allergy sufferers, I don't really see that it matters that much. Plenty of houses have a 'no dogs' policy because they own a dog and find that it doesn't work with two.

Glad it's worked out for you Jemima! It's really good to stay in your own cottage, I'm sure it will give you lots of useful ideas :) Hope the fun of the puppy is enough to compensate for the inconvenience :)
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

There are people who only book specific properties because the owner specifically says that the property does not take guests with dogs.

If I were one of these people and I was aware that a dog had been in the property I would want a refund and or alternative accommodation free. Why the guest only books properties that specifically have a no dogs policy is irrelevant. It could be for any number of reasons, I could be simply because they just don't like dogs.

If I were a dog owner booking such a property for whatever reason knowing that and accepting that I had to put my dog into kennels and I was then aware that a dog had been in property I would want at least my kennel fees plus something as I needlessly incurred costs. I could of brought my dog with me saving money. Why I booked the property is irrelevant and could of been because I had no choice, or for any number of other reasons, the point is I would of respected the property owners no dogs policy and incurred kennel fees unnecessarily because you do allow dogs.

Just my thoughts others may disagree I know