Re-personalisation of the owner/traveller relationship

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
russellt

Re-personalisation of the owner/traveller relationship

Post by russellt »

I awoke this morning to hear the LBC radio station’s headline include a reference to a 20% increase in online holiday booking-related scams. It is fast becoming the scourge of our industry aided, in my opinion, by the global online travel agencies’ commoditisation and de-personalisation of the booking process.

As owners, we are facing a real crisis, not only in terms of profit squeeze, but now in terms of credibility and reputation. I can only imagine how travellers preparing to book feel when they hear these headlines.

Is re-personalisation of the relationship between the owner and the traveller the logical response? How do we do that? I have suggested in the past that we consider the use of video to help travellers feel confident that the owner exists and is willing to be visible(literally) online, and have added a video to my listing by way of example. The option is there for other subscribers too. What do you think? Is video the way forward? Would a scammer really go to these lengths?

In almost the same moment as listening to the LBC headlines, I opened an email from a user of HolidayViews Direct. To partially quote her, she wrote “We really appreciate that someone like yourself is investing the time and effort (and presumably your money too?) to give owners like us an alternative advertising platform, and we sincerely hope that all your efforts will soon be rewarded. “

I feel humbled to receive messages like this, truly humbled, and they inspire me to move forward with my project. Owner frustration is palpable. Our industry has fragmented, and we are being taken for a ride by big money.

I’m going to take the dog for a walk now to help me calm down.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
COYS

Post by COYS »

I heard a similar news headline on the radio several times yesterday. I've often wondered if they are regularly drip fed by the big sites to sow the seed of doubt ........ you know the rest!
I think you are absolutely right that re-personalisation is a positive in terms of scam avoidance, building trust etc. Unfortunately it affects the money harvest of those who must be obeyed so it suits them to suggest otherwise.
I've never been one for oversharing personal information but can see that if you have the confidence & patter, video could be a useful medium. For those of us that have a 'face for radio' & the voice of a market trader (that'll be me!) then the written word may always be preferable.

Having spent the past month or so in preparation for the season ahead, & speaking locally with fellow owners, the service sector etc you are absolutely correct re: palpable frustration. Numbers are noticably down, some places are still not looking close to being ready for business & owner frustration is widely shared by those who make their living by association. There are other factors at play but by far the greater 'blame' is reserved for the market disruption & subsequently increased traveller costs wrought by the OTA's.

To echo your HV user, I will add my thanks for your efforts, positive action is to be applauded & supported by the owner community if it is to survive as anything more than a mute property provider.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
russellt

Post by russellt »

COYS wrote: a 'face for radio' & the voice of a market trader
haha. It took me a while to pluck up the courage, much preferring to be behind the camera. (And more than a few takes.)

Maybe i should broadcast a selection of my outtakes - could go viral! :oops:

But joking apart, putting a face in front of the property may be one way to build trust with travellers if scam-fear is becoming a serious problem.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage