Brexit and owning a propery in France

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
psh

Brexit and owning a propery in France

Post by psh »

Does anyone who has a property in France have any insight into what could happen once Brexit has been completed? Is it likely that properties there that are owned by the British will be at risk of being commandeered by the French authorities once we are no longer in the EU?
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Why would our properties be commandeered by the French authorities post Brexit.

British people owned French properties long before the EU was even thought of. If we continue to pay taxes, declare income etc then surely the French are not going to be inconvenienced by us and our property.
Fleur
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I can't imagine why you would think the French Government or similar French authority would commandeer our homes.

My feeling is that the last thing the French communes want is a lot of empty properties lying about the countryside. If they commandeer our homes we won't be paying tax to them, spending our money in the local shops and restaurants and perhaps, even, employing French people .................
Martha

Post by Martha »

From a Telegraph article as I am a lazy typist, sums the basics up:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/eu-fa ... or-expats/

"Could my second home in France or Spain be seized?

No matter how hostile European nations become, they still have to respect individual property rights. Both the United Nation's Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights make this clear.

What could they do to my property?

It's not all good news. The remaining EU nations could consider a variety of measures, depending on vindictive they feel towards Britain, like making foreigners homeowners pay more in tax."

Lots more detail here
https://www.frenchentree.com/brexit-inf ... nd-advice/

I wouldn't have put anything past Le Pen but I don't see Macron doing anything too lunatic on this front, provided May is also reasonable.
https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/v ... f=NEWSFEED
There is zero desire to kick all the French out of the UK so hopefully sanity will prevail on both sides.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

If the French government allows rich Africans/Middle East potentates etc to keep there plush pads in Paris why would they hassle Brits in the countryside.

Sounds like a Daily Mail scare story :P
What would Plato do ?
CSE

Post by CSE »

As said before, Brits lived and worked in mainland Europe before the days of freedom of movement, and that was brought in at the Maastricht treaty (I think).
When guest ask me what will happen,I say if they kicked everyone back to their own country, be it out of the UK or out of the EU that would be going back to the days of a "dictatorship". That would never happen.
Things will change maybe in the future for sure, we may have to have visas.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Given that we owned most of France in the 13th century, we'd put in a claim to the European Court of Justice for fair restitution. That should sort out any local difficulties! :D

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
CSE

Post by CSE »

However just read in the DM that if you are a Brit with a property in France you will be obliged to remove the carpet from the bathroom.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

casasantoestevo wrote:However just read in the DM that if you are a Brit with a property in France you will be obliged to remove the carpet from the bathroom.
Bless the DM, but sometimes it's for the greater good. (I simply can't imagine having carpet in a bathroom - Yuk.)
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Separate toilet sans lavabo, and bathroom sans tapis. You'd possibly need to add a bidet.

and "a French widow" in every room! of course.
Fleur
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Fleur wrote:Separate toilet sans lavabo, and bathroom sans tapis. You'd possibly need to add a bidet.

and "a French widow" in every room! of course.
Not sure about a French widow but a photograph of the beloved Teresa will be "obligatoire"
What would Plato do ?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bornintheuk wrote: Not sure about a French widow but a photograph of the beloved Teresa will be "obligatoire"
Oh! Can't we have Brigitte Trogneux instead? Please.

Mols :wink:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Bidet?
That could be a waste of money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6dvGXiT5H8
Depends on your client base. :wink:
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Moliere wrote:
bornintheuk wrote: Not sure about a French widow but a photograph of the beloved Teresa will be "obligatoire"
Oh! Can't we have Brigitte Trogneux instead? Please.

Mols :wink:
OK, certainly less scary :evil:
What would Plato do ?