Air Bnb

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

la vache! wrote:Are you on the online booking system Nigel? I'm not...yet, but I know that my listings are lower because I'm not.
Yes I am. I didn;t know there was any other way with airbnb.

Had another booking today for August.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I am just putting my toe in the water with Abnb, and have come up against the cancellation period thing. No way can I run a business where a guest can cancel 7 days before and I only get 50%. Even HL/TA don't do that to you. Have complained and am awaiting a reply on it. I need the super strict 30 as a minimum. Told them I won't list without it. Also said I have been a holiday rental owner since before Abnb existed so I know what I'm talking about!! Probably won't wash though. I might have to just use it for last minute bookings and block out the rest of the year.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I tried all that Kyreniagirl and although they string me along and say I may get it (30, or preferably, 60 days), I never do. Anyway, I don't know why I am bothering as I never get an enquiry through there, possibly because I only advertise about two weeks ahead, because of the cancellation thing - catch 22.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I'm only trying it because my closest rivals are on there and my bookings this year are down. Have to say I don't really like it but it is popular. I won't open up my full calendar if they won't give it to me. Their loss. Wish I knew why bookings are down. We went subscript on TA/HL to make us more competitive and it's had the opposite effect 😰. Also just had a cancellation through HL for May. They have given me £123.00 back but I have lost £300.00!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Well, guess what!! I got the Superstrict30 granted😄😄. I put fwd a very logical argument for not accepting anything less. Said that as a business it would be financial suicide for me to allow guest to cancel 7 days before and not get full recompense. Also just happened to mention that I am a member on various forum & FB sites for owners and my progress on this matter was being followed. Chuffed, but I still think I won't release my calendar too far in advance.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Ooh. Well done, Kyreniagirl! Did you ring them? I might try again when I find the energy.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

FelicityA wrote:Ooh. Well done, Kyreniagirl! Did you ring them? I might try again when I find the energy.
I did call initially, said I would not publish my listing unless they granted it. Sent them my website and said I'd been in business long before Airbnb was even though of!!
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

The cancellation policy is what has halted me advertising more than our own cottage on here. I can take the risk but I wouldn't want to risk it with other cottages unless there's a super strict policy in place.

So far, in about 6 weeks, we have taken 3 short break bookings...all fairly last minute but a percentage of something is better than a percentage of nothing. The latest 3 night break being only £42.00 less than I would normally ask.

For any advanced bookings, the usual price will be charged.

I will contact them and see if I can have the super strict cancellation policy!
Andy Smith
Martha

Post by Martha »

I might have another try as well, then. The said they could totally understand why I would want it - but I never heard back. Will give them another go.

I had the same experience moving to subscription with HA too - totally dead until i went back to commission :/
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
PortugalGuy

Post by PortugalGuy »

I think you guys need to read more carefull the facebooks and twitter of airbnb before advertising

I've been banned from the website this month with zero explanations. User with 150 positive reviews.

Me like many other persons, dont receive any justification, or have any change to apply for help!

Nevertless i should say my all bookings until september were cancelled immediallty and my calendars are now all mess up...

again, read the complains... and think twice
Algarve Guy Renting houses
kg1

Post by kg1 »

PortugalGuy wrote:I think you guys need to read more carefull the facebooks and twitter of airbnb before advertising

I've been banned from the website this month with zero explanations. User with 150 positive reviews.

Me like many other persons, dont receive any justification, or have any change to apply for help!

Nevertless i should say my all bookings until september were cancelled immediallty and my calendars are now all mess up...

Have you no idea why??
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

PortugalGuy wrote:Nevertless i should say my all bookings until september were cancelled immediallty and my calendars are now all mess up...

Well yes, AB&B certainly don't do well on Trustpilot. At present, they get a "poor" rating of 3.1 out of 10 and, on account of the various stories posted there, I wouldn't be tempted to list with them.

It sounds like you have been badly let down by this outfit, but surely your existing bookings to September through the site cannot be cancelled by AB&B, because that's a matter strictly between the host and guest.

There are many other listing sites out there and I believe some are specific to Portugal. No doubt you are already "on the case".
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

Of course, it’s different for every property, but I’ve had just shy of 100 bookings from them on 2 properties and no-one has ever cancelled. ’Strict, 50% up to 1 week ahead’ is 3% but the tighter policies are quite bit more and would have gained me nothing.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Airbnb say super strict 30 and 60 day is 5%. Is this correct?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.