HA Access information

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
e-richard

HA Access information

Post by e-richard »

I know HomeAway believe they can run my rental so much better than I can, but they can't.

Latest email I received from them:
robert needs to know access instructions, door codes, address, parking and driving directions to your property. Your access settings indicate this content, if provided, should be available to robert in 17 days, but you have not yet unlocked the access.

Click ‘Provide access’ to unlock access information.
Needless to say I did not click the button in case it gave them permission to tell robert the name and address of the cleaner, the phone number of my local brothel or any other apparently useful information that they think is important.

I have the guest's email address and have kept them fully informed of everything they need to know, but I am now wondering what HomeAway may have written to them in my name? :twisted:

I think all the big boys have now taken to sending emails as if from the owner - AND NOT even having the courtesy to copy us in.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
greenbarn

Re: HA Access information

Post by greenbarn »

e-richard wrote:I am now wondering what HomeAway may have written to them in my name? :twisted:

I think all the big boys have now taken to sending emails as if from the owner - AND NOT even having the courtesy to copy us in.
It raises the question that if the owner hasn’t given express permission for HA etc to impersonate him/her, whereabouts does this practice rank under the general heading of “Identity Theft”? Not that HA etc show much interest in any laws they haven’t written themselves.
e-richard

Re: HA Access information

Post by e-richard »

greenbarn wrote:It raises the question that if the owner hasn’t given express permission for HA etc to impersonate him/her.....
Are you sure its not buried in the (constantly updated) T&C ?
** Richard
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

And at what point does this turn 'them' from 'listing site' to 'agency'? ' :? '
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

When I used to take bookings through them, they sent me an email saying that MRSX wanted me to review her. The email looked like it came from MRSX but of course it was the masked Homeaway address. I asked MRSX ( who insidentally, requested NOT to be reviewed when I contacted her!) if she got one purporting to be ME. She never answered that but I would imagine she did. I brought it up on the Homeaway forum (US one) and questioning the legality of impersonation. I also asked MRSX to make a separate complaint. They backed down and said they would not do this again. I wonder if they now do?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

FelicityA wrote:... I wonder if they now do?
Of course they do !!!!
email FROM HomeAway to My guest wrote:Dear robert xxx,

Your next rental payment is due.

Please click the "Pay Now" button to make a secure online payment. Once the payment is made you will receive a receipt via email.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding your stay.

Sincerely,
Richard
** Richard
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

And at what point does this turn 'them' from 'listing site' to 'agency'? ' :? '
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Sam V wrote:And at what point does this turn 'them' from 'listing site' to 'agency'? ' :? '
... and from 'agency' to 'impersonator'.

Pretending to be the owner sending the email is so unprofessional. Actually, it comes over as stupid. If they want to request money, or tell the guest where to find the key, or whatever, then HA could simply do so and sign the email as from themselves, and mention the owner's name in certain cases just for the purpose of clarity.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

We had a rental from Switzerland (French speaking) who has received a number of email from "us". We reproduce a part of one below:

Your next rental payment is due.

Please click the 'Pay Now' button to make a secure online payment. Once the payment is made you will receive a receipt via email.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding your stay.

There are couple of problems with this:
1, He is a French speaker so why is it in English?
2. We dont accept on line payment! We state that payment is by bank transfer so how can he click on the button below and pay on line?

In the rush for prevention of on line fraud why are false emails like this being sent by the very people who are supposed to have this as a top priority! We have complained for over a year now (every time this happens) and the response?

"can you send something by email and we will look at it. "

Forgot to say: We have online bookings but not on line payments (HA, OD & AB). We get the reduced subscription price for this however we always alter the email address on the booking to prevent "SPAM" being sent by the site to the guest without our knowledge.
casacampello

Post by casacampello »

It seems that HA now autoreplies to requests in my place, using my standard mail template (not stored on their site) but based on my previous answers to other people... huh what happens? I stil want to keep control and not make offers to ppl I dont want to make offers to? Has anyone found an opt-out on this?

Grts CC