Link to Owners direct from personal site

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mousey

Link to Owners direct from personal site

Post by mousey »

Is it a good idea to link to my Owners direct listing from my personal website?
Do others do this?

Thinking it might be a good idea to show I do actually own my villa since it came to light my villa is falsely advertised on a scam website
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

No, it's not sensible. You've got someone interested in your property - why would you want to show them a site that lists lots of other properties that they might book instead of yours?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I think it can be a good idea to link to the smaller listing sites that show your phone number and have links back to your site i.e. Not commission listings. I think that if people see consistent contact details across different sites it helps reassure them that you are genuine. Smaller sites also have less competition listed on them.

Also raises the issue of reviews - if you've got lots of 5 star reviews on TA or OD can you show them off on your own site without linking to them?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

It looks like the pros. and cons. are evenly matched and all of them so far for good reasons (IMO). For me, newtimber's very practical reason that it is 'not sensible' wins, but only just. Guests are so choosy now that even a competitor's OD page, where the photographs look more professional than on your site, might lose you a booking. However, OD's 'service fee' might counteract this, if the potential guests start to compare prices.

Until a month or so ago, our website's URL was displayed on our OD listing (albeit well hidden). I didn't mind reciprocating then, but since it disappeared along with owners' telephone numbers I don't feel so inclined.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I have a link to my OD listing on my website. 3 reasons. Firstly I have a lot of good reviews on OD which I would like potential guests to see. Secondly I think it adds 'authenticity' to my website to see my property listed on other sites (and also my fb page). And thirdly, like it or not some people genuinely prefer the perceived security of booking through a listing site over direct with the owner.

I do however make sure I state that booking fees apply if they choose to book through OD so they are clear it will be cheaper through my own website.

I'm not sure the argument holds up that you are exposing potential guests to your competition - surely most people would check out all the options when booking a holiday anyway? I used to worry about this but then decided it was better for both me and the guests that they choose the right place for them rather than booking with me because they had missed something better.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Jenster wrote:I have a link to my OD listing on my website. 3 reasons. Firstly I have a lot of good reviews on OD which I would like potential guests to see. Secondly I think it adds 'authenticity' to my website to see my property listed on other sites (and also my fb page). And thirdly, like it or not some people genuinely prefer the perceived security of booking through a listing site over direct with the owner.

I do however make sure I state that booking fees apply if they choose to book through OD so they are clear it will be cheaper through my own website.

I'm not sure the argument holds up that you are exposing potential guests to your competition - surely most people would check out all the options when booking a holiday anyway? I used to worry about this but then decided it was better for both me and the guests that they choose the right place for them rather than booking with me because they had missed something better.
There's nothing to stop you reproducing your reviews on your own site is there Jenster? Or referencing their origin if you feel the need to verify them?
Personally I'd argue that you've done the hard work by getting said guest to your own point of sale, so why would you then offer to send them off into a massive shopping mall full of alternatives, 'you might likes' or 'look at what you could haves' You may well have been their optimal choice but are you not just as likely to be forgotten about once you've directed them away?
Personally, I wouldn't link - especially now that they've removed the reciprocal courtesy & with the way their reputation is on TP at the moment I'm not so sure any 'authenticity' gained would be entirely beneficial.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

COYS wrote:
There's nothing to stop you reproducing your reviews on your own site is there Jenster?
The listing site owns the copyright to the reviews and you aren't allowed to reproduce them without their permission - which they won't give you for obvious reasons.
COYS

Post by COYS »

newtimber wrote:
COYS wrote:
There's nothing to stop you reproducing your reviews on your own site is there Jenster?
The listing site owns the copyright to the reviews and you aren't allowed to reproduce them without their permission - which they won't give you for obvious reasons.
Maybe so, although I'd argue that a review of my property, services or self 'belong' just as much to me so if that means risking the wrath of OD .......
Not that I think they'd really give a toss anyway, their T&C's change so often I'm surprised they can keep track themselves.
These days we tend to get most of our feedback/reviews via post stay email correspondence or direct social media comment so I don't think it's absolutely critical to rely solely on 'branded' reviews any more.
So admittedly, whilst I don't always play with a straight bat in OTA world, I would reiterate the point that I wouldn't be too quick to usher potential guests away from my own dedicated website & off into a mass marketplace just to maintain a link to their review platform, when in reality it should work the other way round?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

COYS wrote: Maybe so, although I'd argue that a review of my property, services or self 'belong' just as much to me
Um, why do you think this? You haven't provided the website to accept the review; you haven't written the review or had any creative input at all.

Yes it's a review of your property; but if someone writes an article about say Jeremy Corbyn, it doesn't "belong" to Jeremy Corbyn. It belongs to the author and/or the publisher.
COYS

Post by COYS »

OK, I phrased it poorly newtimber.
But in reality it's relevant only to me or those who may be interested in staying at my property. It's public information I suppose, but all the same of no value to anybody other than myself or of interest to anybody other than prospective guests.

The following quote should sum up how little value the OTA's place on the actual review itself, let alone the copyright.

"HomeAway is not responsible for any Contributed Content and will not check the accuracy, veracity or the legitimacy of Contributed Content."