BBQ versus plancha

For anything to do with the garden and pool
KathyG

BBQ versus plancha

Post by KathyG »

Our stone BBQ has just about fallen apart so we debated the idea of buying another one and/or adding a plancha. Well we've bitten the bullet and now have just a plancha, gas fuelled. It sits neatly on the base of the old BBQ. :D

Until last night I'd never used a plancha but hopefully it'll be well received and now I have to make a 'How to use the plancha folder'. Can I ask anyone with planchas if they've had any issues with them, what problems are likely to arise, anything in particular I should tell guests, and what are they likely to have problems with? Because I just know they will! :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi KathyG, I prefer a plancha to cook on, if nothing else you lose less food to the "bbq god" when it falls through the grill. I personally feel that a plancha is easier to clean. Only downside that I can think of is that you are more likely to be cooking in fat and therefore ;less good for you?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Fat is good for you Dusty. Well, fat other than highly processed seed oils that is. So as long as your meat is cooking on the plancha in its own fat or you are using healthy oils such as olive, avocado & coconut oil all is well :D
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I absolutely love my plancha - we use it most nights in summer now we've kicked our guests out of the summer kitchen :lol: . Don't use any oil, even on veg.

One tip on cleaning. We buy a ludicrously expensive but highly effective cleaner called Plancha Net. You just spray it on while the plancha's still warm, and wipe it off. It dissolves all the left over bits and you don't have to do any scrubbing. Instant results! We buy ours at Mr. Bricolage but I'd guess any of the brico sheds have it.

In the days when we weren't so mean and shared our summer kitchen with our guests I used to have a laminated page of instructions about how to use the plancha and how to clean it. French guests don't need it, but those from UK and northern Europe had never come across one before and really didn't have a clue! But it was very popular and lots of them got hooked and went home determined to buy one of their own.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thank you all! Have only had one chance to use it so far and then we're off back to the UK tomorrow so haven't tried the non-oil version. Doesn't everything stick to it? How do you clean yours FC? What do you do with the contents of the drip tray if you've used oil for example. I'm trying to make it as easy and idiot-proof as possible. :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

All of our properties have the own BBQ we also have a plancher that anyone can use. The plancher is seldom used but when it is the main problem is guest forgetting to empty the fat from the tray & leave the gas bottle turned on.