delicate problem

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
brigitte

delicate problem

Post by brigitte »

Hi there, im new to the site. i have been renting two of my properties out to guests for nearly 10 years now.

I have something that is bothering me though and i thought id ask you lovely people for some advice

Here goes, on a couple of occasions disabled guests have turned up which is absolutely fine with me, no problem there, but on the one time in question the lady was very mentally disabled and was doubly incontinent. Now, as we have a shared swimming pool, do you think it is unfair of me to not allow the incontinent guest in the pool

I realise i cant discriminate, but under the circumstances would i be justified? any thoughts, advice? thank you in advance

Brigitte
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

No I don't think you would be unfair. Apart from the obvious reason, someone who is mentally disabled could be a danger to herself if allowed to use the pool. Her carer might argue otherwise, but I think you should 'stick to your guns', because you would be the person ultimately responsible if there were an accident - perhaps "accident" isn't the right choice of words in this case!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Perhaps under the info for the pool, say, "swim nappies must be worn where appropriate" and that covers babies and adults. I doubt there is such a thing for an adult but it might put a focus on the problem without seeming to discriminate ( and what a tightrope we walk, these days!) I never used them for my babies as I don't think they existed and do they actually work, I wonder?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

FelicityA's suggestion of appropriate wording to cover all eventualities is quite a good one because the same risk of accidents in the pool can occur with babies/toddlers.

Swim nappies did exist when our kids were small but I wasn't convinced they would work and we didn't use them. I was told, by a more experienced mother, that the children would rarely relieve themselves in the water - and they never did!

On the matter of it being discriminatory. The carer could go either way. They could understand perfectly and not even suggest the person concerned would swim or they could raise the matter of discrimination. If they did I would probably hide behind the insurance issue, health and safety for the individual concerned and that you have to consider the bigger picture of all your guests using the pool.

I've got to admit it's tricky though!