Sawdays - serious pickup @ OD's expense?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

FelicityA wrote: Is it still a two year, sign up?
I pay annually, I've never heard of a 2 year sign up but then I've never wanted to leave Sawdays either.
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

I don't think I would stake 600 euros on no guaranteed return. 600 euros would have to translate to 6000 euros in bookings not just 1 or 2 bookings. To be honest with you I have decided not to subscribe to any website that is subscription based any more as more than often results are not produced.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

donnylu wrote:To be honest with you I have decided not to subscribe to any website that is subscription based any more as more than often results are not produced.
If the websites allow a link to your own website, how can you tell accurately whether results are produced or not? Even if you asked guests how they found you, they won't remember and may just give you the name of the most well-known one they've heard of. There is also the advantage that if your website has sites linking to it, it improves your site's SEO.
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

la vache! wrote:
FelicityA wrote: Is it still a two year, sign up?
I pay annually, I've never heard of a 2 year sign up but then I've never wanted to leave Sawdays either.
+1

I see Sawdays as a bit of a guarantee of quality accommodation. As well as listing our cottage with them I always look through their properties when holidaying in the U.K. as it offers a quick reveal of decent properties, well maintained and 4* minimum. I would imagine that is how many prospective guests view Sawdays too. Thy do charge a refundable(?) fee to come and assess the property initially.

Rural retreats do this too - so am guessing they may produce a similarly high % conversion rate?? but they rejected us from our online application so I wouldn't know. is anyone listed with them?
So much to learn....so little time!
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I have a non-exclusive agreement with Natural Retreats, which might be a similar deal although much smaller. They inspect the properties. They got all hot and bothered about legionaires disease, but I ignored them on that issue. They do seem to be bringing in some bookings, which is good as I have left HA and TA is not doing much for me.

Exclusive v. non-exclusive is a big deal for me. What is Sawdays?
lel

Post by lel »

We are with Sawdays, however sadly we have had little interest, 32 page views and 2 click through in the last month. I think this may be because we are in France and the Brits seem less enamoured due to the euro and perhaps security concerns.

Previously Sawdays were good and we had a good conversion rate, 70%. However I used to notice the odd advert in the Sunday supplements and editorials etc, but I have seen no marketing by them for a few years. Good luck however.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Nigel Goodwin wrote: Exclusive v. non-exclusive is a big deal for me. What is Sawdays?
Sawdays is non-exclusive.
I've had some bookings for this year from them despite being in France, so they are still working for me even though I'm sure the market is down in general for Brits wanting to visit France.
stork

Post by stork »

We must say we are happy with Sawdays - and agree it it generally the sort of guests we like to receive.

-My aunt had a sign in her hall: "Everyone here brings happiness - some by coming, others by leaving." Some guests remind me of that...
Riponnewbie

Alastair Sawday

Post by Riponnewbie »

I am wondering if anyone has more recent experience with Alastair Sawday? (I have a UK FHL.) Many years ago I used Alastair Sawday's guide a lot for searching for unique places to stay. I am wondering with the internet if it is still well used? If I speak to various friends and it seems no one has ever heard of it now.
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

This article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/homeaway ... hris-smith

Shows just how easily our accommodation can become product on the shelves of their shops. Commission and subscription are chalk and cheese, but a sub is only worth what it generates when evaluated against other options over time. Underestimating that by overlooking non-traceable revenue is a common issue: it inevitably goes with the territory of direct response listing sites.