CdH....Classification

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
dorie

CdH....Classification

Post by dorie »

Hi CdH owners

We have been operating as a CdH for 3 years. I looked into classification in our first year and decided against it. I just wondered if anyone on here is classified and has positive points about being so?

The only one on my list is that are some sites that only list classified CdH

For negatives, if we classify we will have to pay more taxe de sejour

Any thoughts appreciated
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

We used to be classified by GdF but have never bothered with getting the Tourist Office to do the same, as they used GdF to do the classification anyway. We left GdF this year so officially we're now not classified and it has made no difference to business.

As for Taxe de Séjour, in theory and according to the letter of the law, then if you provide facilities equivalent to a 3 star chambre d'hôte (for example) then you have to collect the rate of TdS for a 3 star B&B even if you haven't been classified.

But in practice you'll probably get away with it because if you've never been examined, they don't know what you should be classified.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Our tourist office this year is charging its highest rate of taxe de séjour to unregistered chambres d'hôtes and gîtes :cry:
dorie

Post by dorie »

That's a bit rough!

Our tourist office charges the lowest rate for unclassified and couldn't provide any sort of list to show what is required for each star. It was the tourist office that convinced me not to do it when we opened...
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

French Cricket wrote:Our tourist office this year is charging its highest rate of taxe de séjour to unregistered chambres d'hôtes and gîtes :cry:
Ours is too. Apparently the idea is that it will push standards up as people will upgrade the gites so they pay a lower amount of TdeS with the higher gradings and guests will benefit. (Our TdeS is based on a flat rate assumption of occupancy, not actual occupancy so its a fixed cost each year).
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

French Cricket wrote:Our tourist office this year is charging its highest rate of taxe de séjour to unregistered chambres d'hôtes and gîtes :cry:
Tossers.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Ours is now 1€/Adult per night for 4 star accommodation i wish i hadnt bothered with the classification. I think the rate should be the same across the ratings.
Tournesol

Cdh - classification

Post by Tournesol »

It's our first season and we are with booking.com who are collecting taxe de sejour but how do we pay it? And to whom?
What you've never had you never miss!
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

the commune will send you the paperwork - if you are registered with the mayor they will have informed the treasury....some communes charge it seasonally, many (inclluding ours) charge it year round - both on actual number of guests. Some communes now ask for it on perceived occupancy for your commune
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

Thanks
Pixietoadstool

Who collects Taxe de Séjour

Post by Pixietoadstool »

Our taxe de séjour for our gîte is collected by the local tourist office.
Love not fear!
Cassis

Re: Cdh - classification

Post by Cassis »

Tournesol wrote:It's our first season and we are with booking.com who are collecting taxe de sejour but how do we pay it? And to whom?
If you know you're subject to Taxe de Séjour (and logically you must if you're including it in the bookingdot com price) then surely you know who takes it off you? Otherwise how do you know you need to collect it for them? :/

Anyway, you'll get a demand from whoever it is whenever it's due.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Tournesol

Cdh classification

Post by Tournesol »

I don't, b.com are adding it automatically. I didn't ask them to.