Will you renew your listing on OD?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

Will you renew your listing on OD?

Yes
18%
No
61%
Unsure
20%

Total votes: 49

Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Quiterio wrote:I'm another reluctant 'yes'. We took a break from HA (I assume you're including HA, as they're all part of the same empire) last year, to see what would happen if we went with AirBnb and a raft of small players. And the simple answer was .... nothing.

I wish we could shout more loudly, perhaps telling all our customers to tell their friends not to use these rip-off web sites. I've written an article for our local ex-pat magazine. But it feels like it will never be enough.

All these doom and gloom reports about OD losing business ...and yet - plenty of travellers happy to pay the premium.

I also wonder if we are a very small vocal minority. What percentage of renters do we laymyhatters actually representative?
I'm not sure if we are a minority but there are certainly a lot of owners and guests who are happy to work with the OD system as it is now. People are still using them, as demonstrated by Rosebud and AngloDutch. Only this week I have had two OD guests ignore my option to pay by bank transfer for a discount, and happily paid the higher price by credit card. And I had an owner in my Cornwall accommodation group say she would not book guests outside of OD as she 'wanted the protection they offer'.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Jenster wrote:
Quiterio wrote:I'm another reluctant 'yes'. We took a break from HA (I assume you're including HA, as they're all part of the same empire) last year, to see what would happen if we went with AirBnb and a raft of small players. And the simple answer was .... nothing.

I wish we could shout more loudly, perhaps telling all our customers to tell their friends not to use these rip-off web sites. I've written an article for our local ex-pat magazine. But it feels like it will never be enough.

All these doom and gloom reports about OD losing business ...and yet - plenty of travellers happy to pay the premium.

I also wonder if we are a very small vocal minority. What percentage of renters do we laymyhatters actually representative?
I'm not sure if we are a minority but there are certainly a lot of owners and guests who are happy to work with the OD system as it is now. People are still using them, as demonstrated by Rosebud and AngloDutch. Only this week I have had two OD guests ignore my option to pay by bank transfer for a discount, and happily paid the higher price by credit card. And I had an owner in my Cornwall accommodation group say she would not book guests outside of OD as she 'wanted the protection they offer'.
By the same token Jenster, there are also many who are not happy or whole sectors/areas that have definitely experienced a huge drop off.
The short break or staycation guest for example may well be less impacted from an overall percentage cost perspective so more willing to pay imposed fees.
By comparison, my near neighbour (all singing, all dancing, fully compliant OD listing) 'attracts' a peak week service fee of £239+ & that's enough to make anyone sit up & take notice. The net result has been a dramatic drop in her general enquiries & very few bookings which certainly appears to be a common theme here, whether owners are playing the game or playing renegade. She is in a real panic as she has always been totally reliant on them.
Quiterio, it may well be that OD are prepared to 'lose business' up to a point, but they can just reset the playing field for those 'loyal' customers as they see fit to make up & surpass any shortfall. And that for me is the biggest worry if I were predominantly reliant upon them.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
declanja

Post by declanja »

I know we had a long discussion on the merits or otherwise of the HA group last year and I was one of the owners that found HA working well and was reluctantly going along with their changes. This year I have found HA is not producing as many bookings as last year. Most bookings are of the "instant booking" type but very few general inquires.

As my renewal is due shortly I wonder if changing from subscription to commission only is worth considering. I rank fairly high in searches right now and wonder how much I would lose in ranking by changing?
DEclan
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

declanja, if anything going commission will improve your ranking I would guess. HA like commission listings as the commission will potentially make them more money than a flat subscription, if they can attract enough bookings.

Putting all your eggs in the HA basket is probably unwise, but ultimately guests have to book somewhere and owners need to stick with whatever works. Spreading your property over a number of popular sites while also working to attract direct bookings where possible is probably the most realistic option for many.