Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

would this work for you?

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seaturtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: would this work for you? Reply with quote

Hi there I've just signed up for Weebly & im trying to figure out which Weebly theme might suit to promote our two vacation rentals?

Which Weebly theme worked well for you?

We wish to select the best theme before ploughing too far in and regretting it.

Any tips from Weebly users?
Casscat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Weebly personally as I used Promote My Place and found the end result to exceed my expectations. I like PMP because it is designed for holiday rentals and not all purpose. I did suggest Weebly to friends who run a ranch offering horse riding though and there seemed to be a reasonably easy build associated with it. Not that they ended up replacing their dismal 'not been touched since 2000' web site though!
seaturtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Casscat... with Owners Direct imploding befire our eyes it really is time to get our own site up & running
seaturtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Casscat... with Owners Direct imploding befire our eyes it really is time to get our own site up & running
Casscat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my own site from day one. It was really useful as a route to lure people away from OD. My OD/HA listing mentions the name of my property constantly through the narrative and people quite commonly Googled this contacted me via my own web site, usually in actuality to check that I was legit but these days it would be more about getting a fairer deal on pricing.
seaturtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold advice! Nice one...
AndrewH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casscat wrote:
...My OD/HA listing mentions the name of my property constantly through the narrative...

A good tip, because the name is the starting point (followed by location) for any prospective guest who is searching for your property with a view to making a direct booking.
SusanMay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you thought about creating your own Wordpress site?

The unknown is a bit scary but I used Alan Egan's online course which takes you step by step through creating a site and made it all approachable, even to a novice like me. It's free to follow his course, all you need to pay for is a Siteground hosting package and a domain. You get a template holiday rental site copied across and follow his instructions to change it to create your own site. You don't need to think about themes and appropriate plugins when it is all a bit new but you then have the flexibility to be able to make changes, add any plugins etc in the future as you become a seasoned Wordpress user. It also means you have full ownership of the website you create. I don't expect it's at all likely but if PMP or Weebly went out of business what would happen to the websites?

If you search on this forum you'll find lots more on Wordpress and Alan's course has been mentioned before too (that's how I learnt about it). A link to his course is here:
http://yourvacationrentalwebsite.com/get-this/

So you can see if it would suit you, here's my website: http://westbaycottage.co.uk

It did take a lot of time and effort but it was quite enjoyable and a lot of that is coming up with the words and the pictures which you need to do whatever tool you use to build your site.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Susan
seaturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Susan. You see we've already "bit the bullet" & paid for Weebly already...

Thanks anyway
How to build your own personal website from scratch