First booking - help please!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
emmavix

First booking - help please!

Post by emmavix »

We listed our cottage last week on AirBNB, Holiday Lettings & Homeaway and we've had a few enquiries so far for the summer, which is promising. One person made a reservation request via Homeaway, I sent an invoice and then he telephoned on my home number to ask about the property and then to suggest a private booking. I'm not sure how he found my number, I wouldn't imagine it's top secret but nor would I imagine it's given out by Homeaway?

He wants to pay by bank transfer, including a security deposit, I feel a bit uncomfortable taking a booking away from a site where I had a listing although we do plan to take bookings direct from our own website too. Am I right to think that BACS payments are not able to be claimed back so this shouldn't be a scam?

Sorry for silly questions - feeling a bit frazzled by the first booking & logistics etc. What haven't I thought of? We live next door to the holiday cottage so we will be on site for all the time they are staying (not 24/7 but we will be around).

Em
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Congratulations on what sounds like it could be your first booking :D

Is your phone number on your own website? Maybe he's just one if the canny few who've worked out how to Google properties they find on sites like Homeaway so they can go direct and avoid booking fees.

Do you have a booking form and your own terms and conditions yet? Basically you need to get enough information from him to put your mind at rest - contact details, maybe including postal address, number and names of guests, dogs, babies, etc. and a commitment to agree to your terms. Don't confirm the booking until you've had all the info as well as the money.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
kg1

Post by kg1 »

If you had a website that he could have got your no. from - ok, but how did he get your no.? There's nothing wrong with taking a direct booking, most if us prefer it as no commission, but you need a booking form to get all his details. I have one you are welcome to copy, message me your email address. I would also want a BACS payment not a cheque - too easily cancelled. Take a damages deposit, we take £200.00, it must be cleared funds in your account before you hand the keys over. As you live next door - make sure he knows you do - on balance I think you are probably ok, just do all the above first.