Instant Booking potential for unbookable gaps

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Instant Booking potential for unbookable gaps

Post by Sam V »

Having just received a request to book our villa (in German, I only speak English) for a week in August commencing three nights after the previous booking; with the onset of instant booking and listing sites gradually de-flexitizing (Mr V says inflexibility is the correct word, but I like mine) our booking communication, negotiations, etc to close gaps. Does anyone see a potential issue with lost nights due to these sites ever growing control over the process?

I think I've made myself clear ?!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
COYS

Post by COYS »

In a word Sam V, yes.
Instant booking is designed to remove the potential for alternatives & ensure a booking (any booking) & thus secure locked in payment.
If you accept nightly or short breaks on flexible arrival days, how will you prevent or even minimize costly gaps without any input? If you opt in & then reject them you'll just end up being penalized anyway.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

In theory yes - I specify 7 nights minimum on b dot c which is the only instant booking site I am on. I also require Sat to Sat. I'll reduce that to 4 nights within a week of the start date as I'm then unlikely to sell direct.

If they contact me direct then I can of course be much more flexible
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I won't do instant booking - too scared :(
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I have successfully negotiated closing that booking gap with the offer of a discount which I still need to calculate, I'd much rather do that than lose a few days, plus they may become repeat guests. My worry is that as listing site take more and more control, instant booking will become the next 'must have'' to ensure visibility, after all OD have no stitched up even subscription listings to not be able to accept a booking outside the site.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

You are right Sam V...

I have instant booking on one site Booking.com .. however I have only had one booking with them since I started last November .. so perhaps it is wasted there.