Busy in July!!!!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Frenchlady

Busy in July!!!!

Post by Frenchlady »

Why do guests come back after a day out sight seeing in July and August and complain that it is busy. Of course it is busy every man, woman, child and his dog are on holiday. Today the guests complained they could not get into the caves because they were booked up for 2 days. It is "silly season" - if you don't like it busy don't come in height of season. We don't take kids so our guests (unless they are teachers I suppose) probably do not need to come at this time. Come in May, June and September - beautiful months when you can get the sights to yourselves (and last few years are our hardest months to fill). Just fed up with hearing this comment over breakfast. We have to go and do the food shopping in "silly season" - takes us twice as long trying to navigate the isles full of families arguing over what to eat or food they are not familiar with. Just have to get on with it.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I know what you mean, but I do think that when asked what sort of day they had people need to come up with something to say, unfortunately not all our guests are 'little rays of sunshine' and need to have a moan occasionally. At least at the moment they are not saying 'it's so hot!'.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We have been asked for a deserted beach in August :lol: But I did manage to direct them to one where there were less than 10 people.....though I explained the entrance and exit would be fun!

I too don't understand why people, who don't have to, holiday during school holidays. My parents in law do exactly that.....and then moan the caravan sites are full of kids :shock: They can go anytime.

I'm already dreaming of September.

Mouse
x
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I'm so looking forward to no longer being tied to our holidays in 'silly season' and leaving our teen daughter to house sit.... 16 in January
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
AngloDutch

Re: Busy in July!!!!

Post by AngloDutch »

Frenchlady wrote:Today the guests complained they could not get into the caves because they were booked up for 2 days.
Frenchlady, thanks so much for this warning - you have just saved us a lot of hassle next week! We thought about PMing this to you, but maybe this can help warn any other LMHers who are taking a break in France during the high season that they should think about prebooking attractions.

We will be leaving tomorrow for a gite on the Haute-Vienne/Corrèze border, so alot of the attractions in the Dordogne will be in available to us.

Do you mean Lascaux? Because we had no idea that it was necessary to prebook (just remembered queueing for most of the morning to see the Padirac cave a few years ago in August!) We have now found the lascaux.fr site, and see that you can book tickets there. A tour of Lascaux II in French or English is currently only available to book from next Wednesday, 2nd August! So, we will hurry up and book. We would have probably just gone there and found out that we couldn't get in. So again, appreciate the warning!

Do you know of any other major attractions (historic - so castles, caves, etc. ) in your area where you should prebook during August? :shock:
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Yes, Anglodutch, it was Lascaux. You can also book Gouffre de Padirac (the caves with the boats on underground river) on-line I believe but only for a visit in advance (not the same day).

It is actually a very quiet year again for tourism in France so you can imagine what it is like in a busy year in height of season. Most people could book tickets direct now that they have smart phones etc. - may stop them moaning. Trouble is when you suggest it to them they can never make up their mind when they want to go ............!!!

Enjoy your holiday.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Frenchlady wrote:Yes, Anglodutch, it was Lascaux. You can also book Gouffre de Padirac (the caves with the boats on underground river) on-line I believe but only for a visit in advance (not the same day).

It is actually a very quiet year again for tourism in France so you can imagine what it is like in a busy year in height of season. Most people could book tickets direct now that they have smart phones etc. - may stop them moaning. Trouble is when you suggest it to them they can never make up their mind when they want to go ............!!!

Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks, Frenchlady - what would we do without LMH!