New to this

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
debbuck

New to this

Post by debbuck »

I have just started renting out my lodge this year. I had some guests check in last Saturday for 1 week, yesterday she text me to say they had to leave early in a rush because her dad had been taken very ill. I feel like i want to give her a refund, but my daughter suggests i offer her 3 free nights at our quieter time. What would you do?
Marks

Post by Marks »

No refund, it is what travel insurance is for.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Nothing.

It sounds harsh but you are running a business now. It is not up to you to act as insurer for other people's holidays.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

As Marks says, it's what travel insurance is for.

However, if you want to treat your guests as you would like to be treated yourself in similar circumstances, and if you want to have lovely glowing feeling, take up your daughter's suggestion and offer 3 nights at a reduced price in the future. If you do offer this (or anything similar) remember to specify when the cheaper days must be booked by and during what period they can be taken (you may not want them to arrive for 3 cheap/free days over a peak period that you can sell at full rate, for instance).

Remember, this is a business, but it's up to you and your conscience how you run your business.

PS I think we are all assuming that you have received full payment for the week, and that there is no damage to put right.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
debbuck

Post by debbuck »

Thank you for all the replies, yes we have received all money in full and there was no damage. I remember a few years ago we had booked a holiday, then our son died so was unable to go. The lady lady returned all my money. I suppose i was just feeling sorry for the couple who had to leave early.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would be grateful that they have told you they were leaving, so the changeover can be sorted.

I would personally offer a small discount off an out of season stay, but you are not under any obligation to do so.
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

Debbuk, like the others I think it's what insurance is for. I read an old post a while ago pointing out that we supply accommodation and insurance companies don't provide accommodation but do sell holiday insurance but an offer of a discount at a future time would be kind.

I didn't want to close out the topic without acknowledging you mentioning the loss of your son. What a terrible loss you have had to bear. I hope you have many many wonderful memories of him.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Agree with the general thrust here. There is a softer way though. Offer them a "free" or cheap return break (at a time that suits you). That way you may just secure a customer who comes back more than once. Repeat custom is so much cheaper to secure than pitching for new.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

When there are genuine reasons we have the luxury of taking the path that suits us - it’s our business after all.

Guests should have insurance, we’re not in the business of underwriting their risks for free. Maybe they have - it might even be bundled in with a banking service or something and they don’t even know.

My feeling is to combine the key suggestions already made.

Sympathise and offer them all the help they need with the paperwork to claim off their insurance. Don’t ask if they have it - just assume.

Then, because you can, also offer them a reduction off a future stay - something they can look forward to when their situation improves. I certainly wouldn’t go for an offer of a free stay, or even really cheap; I’d pitch it as a fixed or percentage discount on any stay at any time within the next 12 months - something along those lines. If they take you up on it, you’ve got a feel-good factor with returning guests and quite possibly ongoing repeat and/or recommendations - that’s worth the cost of the discount. If they don’t for whatever reason, you’ve made the offer and it hasn’t cost you anything.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

greenbarn (but my bolding) wrote:Sympathise and offer them all the help they need with the paperwork to claim off their insurance. Don’t ask if they have it - just assume..
+1
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

It may be 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted', but it is worth putting in your confirmation of booking e-mail, advice about the holiday insurance, just in case.

This will make it easier to be businesslike in this sort of situation. Kindness is easier if business is buoyant but if you are still gathering momentum it can be an unjust imposition when guests expect it.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting