Strong curry smell throughout cottage

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
emmavix

Strong curry smell throughout cottage

Post by emmavix »

We have our first ever guests midway through a week with us. They are a large Asian family. Today they asked me to sort out the hot water so I went into the cottage to test it. In the hallway (next to the kitchen), and in the kitchen, lounge, 3 bedrooms (I went in as asked to test water), as well as our linen room which is locked off, off the hallway, there was a very strong smell of curry spices.

On arrival the guests complained that the cottage wasn't well aired and, as they'd only booked the day before arriving, we conceded this could be the case. So I'm not suggesting deducting anything from the security deposit but what would others do?

Just off to Google tipswich for removing the smell. Currently no further booking for a week.or so, so we have time to try a few things but I suspect a quick changeover would have been impossible.

Em
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Oo lovely, an olfactory challenge! I'm going to be studying to be an aromatherapist in September so I had a quick look through a reference book I happen to have with me here on holiday!

Hope this suggestion might help for when you do your departure clean.

The following are good for household cleansing, as well as being antifungal/antibacterial, so you could add a couple of drops to a cleaning cloth when wiping round and cotton wool ball in the vacuum cleaner by the external filter and to a pan of boiling water on the stove.

If you don't have any essential oils you could also try sliced fruit or dried herbs in a pan of water.

Lavender, geranium, tea tree, chamomile bergamot, citronella, lemon, lime, lemongrass, tyme, eucalyptus, peppermint, pine.

Pm me if you'd like to purchase any oils.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
FaithfulTravels

Post by FaithfulTravels »

I have a citrus oil that I love to diffuse in the house after guests. It gives the place a really clean smell. And a thorough cleaning as well.
COYS

Post by COYS »

I love a curry & long may they linger!
However you could try leaving halved raw onions out to absorb the odours. Decorators have been doing it for years to alleviate strong paint fumes.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Why mention the race of these guests? It is irrelevant. Curry is the favourite food in Britain these days. Spice aromas are superb and much better than sweaty beds, stinky dogs, children's nappies.
To get over any smells, naturally, spray around the affected areas with white vinegar.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Race, colour, gender is kinda irrelevant I agree but it sort of helps too.

I haven't experienced a problematic bad smell as yet after guests have left and often wondered what I should do when this happens.

So far I've got away with simply opening every door and window for the whole day and cleaning as normal. Although a smell was evident it decided it wasn't too bad at the time. Well I think I've got away with it as nobody has commented or complained.

What do you do to get rid of bad odours in a panic?

Agree as below.
Last edited by akwe-xavante on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

casasantoestevo wrote:Why mention the race of these guests? It is irrelevant.
Because it's almost certain that a large Asian family will be having large aromatic curries every night of the week, as opposed to large non Asian families who may have one takeaway curry their whole holiday. Curry each night of the week is going to penetrate the soft furnishings far more than the occasional curry, thus requiring a different approach to rid the smell before the next (possibly non curry loving) guests arrive. So therefore, a very relevant piece of information, Casasantoestevo.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ecosse: Both us are Caucasian and that will not stop us cooking food which could leave a lingering bouquet.
Anyhow, food smells lingering after only short time in occupancy is a sorry argument which does not stand up to scrutiny.

akwe-xavante
What do you do to get rid of bad odours in a panic?
Now that subject should have been discussed before on LMH. Woefully I cannot find anything in a search. One thing is to do is not wear white.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Bicarb of soda is good, and white vinegar spray is good too.

Leaving a pan simmering with a few essential oils is a great idea and one that I will try! I always try to do a quick once over with furniture polish just before guests arrive, especially around the door, so it smells clean as soon as you step in...but the pan with oils is even better :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Added BiCarb and White Vinegar to next weeks shopping list to keep at the cottage for when it happens as I'm sure it will one day.

Essential Oils...... So many to choose from!?
CSE

Post by CSE »

SW31

Post by SW31 »

Today's aroma when I entered the Gite is chips. Family left at 6 am this morning. We've been dreading the clean up with them. Wall next to stairs will need repainting, sofa covers to go into washing machine. God knows what oil they used to cook with but it's everywhere.
Pool had a thick scum around all the walls, pool towels discoloured. Cushions on the sun loungers have had their 'stays' ripped off so will have to sew them back.
I'm glad I booked the Gite out of service this week as I had a feeling the changeover was going to take longer!
Marks

Post by Marks »

SW31 wrote:Today's aroma when I entered the Gite is chips. Family left at 6 am this morning. We've been dreading the clean up with them. Wall next to stairs will need repainting, sofa covers to go into washing machine. God knows what oil they used to cook with but it's everywhere.
Pool had a thick scum around all the walls, pool towels discoloured. Cushions on the sun loungers have had their 'stays' ripped off so will have to sew them back.
I'm glad I booked the Gite out of service this week as I had a feeling the changeover was going to take longer!
Charge them out of the security deposit. I did last week for a truly horrendous changeover.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

We just had a bad changeover too, is it an epidemic??!! (not in my property but one I manage) Cooker lid exploded on its own during the week (I know, it can happen but....) air con meter out of use as card would not work so was bypassed and client promised to pay what was owed on departure. Door ripped off its hinges (what do people do??) TEN bags of rubbish to go to bins (for 2 weeks they never took the rubbish out?) Then on departure they have no money left to pay for the air con and will send it on..........As the other thread states its the example the parents are setting to the children...
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It clearly is an epidemic! One of the properties I manage, last weekend was bad. The cleaner described it looking like there had been a party even though there were only two adults, a child and a toddler. Food everywhere including left in the microwave, washing up left, pegs all over the floor, shoe marks on the leather settees and dirty nappies, not in bags, left to dispose of. Broken furniture but it can't be 100% be proven it was these guests. When I raised the issues, did I get an apology? Did I heck, just the blame game saying all the issues there were with the property, several days after leaving and not saying a word. Implying that being expected to clear up the mess was unusual in all the cottages they'd stayed in. It's the kids I feel sorry for, being raised like animals and having a terrible example set by the parents. There is the next generation of holiday guests. :(

Here's one thread discussing removing smells. Although it was smoke, I'm sure the same applies to many odours. http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25838