Bad review - advice please

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Whatever

Bad review - advice please

Post by Whatever »

We received a complaint from a guest, after he had left, that he had not had hot water. I am not based on site so asked the Site Manager who confirmed that the guest had not contacted her at the time and that the water was now hot. She suspected that he had fiddled with the settings and the override switch.

I responded to the guest, explaining how sorry I was and that, had we been made aware, we would have sought to rectify the situation. He sent a further, very long email, furiously explaining why he had not had time to contact us during his stay. I did not want to fan the flames further so left it at that. He is now irate and has drafted a long and detailed review which, as one would expect, only shows his side of the story. He has sent me the review and it has not been published on TripAdvisor (yet).

Do you think I should respond to him again or wait for the review to be published? All our other reviews are 5 star.

Thanks
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

How long was his stay? If he didn't have time to mention it it couldn't have bothered him that much and his fault he didn't let you know, how can you take responsibility for something you're unaware of?

Personally I'd leave it and maybe respond to his review if he actually leaves one.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
CSE

Post by CSE »

I think we would be better off helping you if this guest adds a review. It looks as if nothing you say now will stop him.
Sometimes they add reviews which makes the guest look so ridiculous that you may not need to reply. :lol: :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Agree. It sounds like the review will tell people more about him than about your property. In a reply to a bad review the statement that he didn't once say there was no hot water would make me think he was a bit of an idiot. If you other reviews are 5* you should have nothing to worry about. It's just very annoying.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Sanchisimo wrote:Agree. It sounds like the review will tell people more about him than about your property. In a reply to a bad review the statement that he didn't once say there was no hot water would make me think he was a bit of an idiot. If you other reviews are 5* you should have nothing to worry about. It's just very annoying.
+1
e-richard

Re: Bad review - advice please

Post by e-richard »

Sorry I am late to this party, but if he has sent you his "draft review", then I would certainly send it on to Trip Advisor urgently. They are (usually) quite diligent about responding to blackmail and by pre-empting his review you may be able to curtail this whole thing quickly.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Thanks to you all. I have contacted TripAdvisor and will follow all of your advice.