Left after arriving!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
annafern

Left after arriving!

Post by annafern »

I am afraid I call August the silly season and after renting out my holiday cottage for 16 years, I think you get to know the routine and claims for refunds.

But there is always a first! and every story is different, but put into the mixing bowl, School holidays, bad weather, family members all together, arguments makes a recipe for claims for refunds.

Hog Cottage is a lovely character holiday cottage in the Derbyshire town off Wirksworth. Description on website says its up a steep hill and foot note explains that some guests find the hill a challenge and choose to park at the bottom and there is also a warning that people carries and 4 wheel drives are not suitable.

We don't advertise off road parking.

Since the day I first saw the property prior to buying it and right up to today, apart from when it snows I have been able to get my 5 door, standard hatchback up the hill, round the bend and park outside the cottage with no issues and I wouldn't class myself as a world class driver!!

Guests arrival was for Saturday. We don't do meet and greets but keys are left and a generous welcome pack left for guests arrival.

All quiet over the weekend and Monday morning I try to call the Cottage landline at 9.15 am but no answer so then text at 9.30 to ask if they were enjoying themselves and just to warn them our plumber might call round to look at one of the taps.

15 minutes later I get an email to say that they arrived later on Saturday after a long journey and a fractious one and struggled to get up the hill and round the bend, nearly crashing the car. So after some debate they decided to turn round and go home as they felt the hill and the bend would impair their enjoyment and stay at the Cottage.

So the letter ends with the predictable ' can we have a refund'

I am happy to offer the refund for cleaning and utilities costs but 32 a hours delay in telling us they didn't stay makes it virtually impossible to rent out a short 5 day week.

Anyone has anyone had a similar situation!
Anna
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

So are they saying that they didn't even go in to the cottage? :shock:

Have you (or someone local) been around to make sure they haven't been there? If so, then I think the most you can do is offer to refund the laundry and cleaning costs.

Hopefully, your T&Cs make it clear that they're not due a full refund.

I'm flabbergasted that they would get as far as the bottom of the hill and then give up and go home without even seeing the cottage! Maybe there is something else going on - perhaps they had a major falling out on the journey.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
annafern

Post by annafern »

He said in email they reversed back down the hill but guessing they only got to the bend but then possibly walked up.

Yes the housekeeper has been in and she reckons they have been in. Muddy fiot prints and looked like something spilt something on kitchen floor, but no beds used and welcome pack not touched!!
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

So a refund on laundry and most of the cleaning costs, but not all as they managed to make some mess in their short visit and you had to call the housekeeper in to check.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
CSE

Post by CSE »

your bend cannot be anyway worse than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgjKpFqIJ0
Swearing included!
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I've said this before; it's not a good idea to get into detailed arguments on the specific issues. Firstly, that's probably not the real reason for their early departure. It could well be totally unrelated and they want you to pay for their mistake. Secondly, nit-picking arguments go on and on and all they achieve is frayed tempers.

What I would do is:

Explain very politely that you held those dates specifically for them, that in doing so you did not let anyone else book those dates, and that the dates were thus held exclusively for them. In the event, you will try to relet, and if you are able to find another guest at this short notice for any period, then you will offer a refund out of the proceeds. Alternatively, if they have an insurable issue, then you will supply any required paperwork, but that is the limit of your responsibility.

Now, any reasonable person will understand that logic. Any unreasonable person will argue that the sea is not wet enough, too salty and too far from the post office.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
JP

Post by JP »

Exactly as Richard says, don't start trying to refund part cleaning fees and utility fees as this will only open a negotiation, make it quite clear you are not open to negotiation. If they want to take it further i.e. small claims, then no court in this land would see their behaviour as reasonable.