Love Money jumping on the band wangon

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Joanna

Love Money jumping on the band wangon

Post by Joanna »

Here's another one:
https://www.lovemoney.com/news/66544/ho ... newsletter

Anyone on here making £68,000 from Sykes? I notice that's turnover, not profit.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
CSE

Post by CSE »

Oh so similar to the article we posted from the Express.
Looked on line, but could not find a link between the two websites. Maybe just a coincidence?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I was in London last week and the underground was full of Airbnb adverts showing a young woman who had "made" £4,000 plus in her first month of letting via them. What they failed to mention was the 90 day annual limit on short term lets in most London boroughs.

Taking into account the capital investment, overheads, running costs and personal time there is more money to be made on the stock market than in holiday lets. Perhaps I should sell up?
The best things in life are free
CSE

Post by CSE »

Give up what? Write to the advertising standard agency. Never give up, well not never `cause habits are bad for you.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I just took a look at the Pump House and the figures take some believing. If they went live in July last year and took 69 bookings in a year that's incredible. Looking forward they only have 2 weeks booked next year (It does look fully booked at the moment).

Most of the year they are less than £500. I notice they don't offer any short break pricing, I am fining people wanting more shorter breaks myself. Are they managing to sell a couple of short breaks in a week at the full weeks price? I wish I could do that :-)

I thought Sykes tended to push prices lower, the rates here look pretty good for a one bedroom place but I don't know the market in that area myself.

https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage ... angeover=6
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

This bit below made me question the independence of the article. Maybe I'm just cynical??

Sykes Cottages is an award-winning holiday letting agent with over 25 years' experience in the industry. Visit www.sykescottages.co.uk/letyourcottage or call 01244 617683 for more information.

It would not be too difficult to target a particular property to use in marketing campaigns, and ensure as many enquiries as possible are sent that way.
COYS

Post by COYS »

zebedee wrote:This bit below made me question the independence of the article. Maybe I'm just cynical??
+1
Stealth advertising
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

ianh100 wrote:I just took a look at the Pump House and the figures take some believing. If they went live in July last year and took 69 bookings in a year that's incredible. Looking forward they only have 2 weeks booked next year (It does look fully booked at the moment).

https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage ... angeover=6
For a new property to take 69 bookings and yet have only 7 reviews? I presume that they have no repeat guests who naturally wouldn't leave a review - so does Sykes not ask guests to leave reviews?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

They seem to charge the same for a short break as for a week so if they have a few weeks where they get 2 short breaks that would explain some of it. However, their low season rates are around the £350 mark so they're doing well to make £68k over 2 years.

The low number of reviews is also interesting. Do you think Sykes only show favourable ones?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
CSE

Post by CSE »

Are you all say all your guest leave reviews and if they did only on one channel or never on social media, Google etc etc.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

casasantoestevo wrote:Are you all say all your guest leave reviews and if they did only on one channel or never on social media, Google etc etc.
I imagined that all the bookings for the cottages in the article would have come from Sykes - as Sykes would obviously have written about their best performing cottages (the guest author is almost certainly employed by Sykes).
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I thought it was a standard practice, pay for a series of advertisements in a newspaper = positive article of your choice!