charging for electric car 'charging'

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
pachypach1

charging for electric car 'charging'

Post by pachypach1 »

We have a guest this week who is plugging his car into charge every day for a few hours as far as we can make out.
We were never advised of this, and as we are half way through the week, feel loathed to ask them to pay anything for leccy now.
-How much electric do these cars use to charge up?
-Does anyone charge for things like this?
-If you do, how much, and do you put this in the booking conditions?
thanks in advance
Marks

Post by Marks »

There is a long thread about the same subject here:

http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5b4a0dd47b

Make pot of tea and get some digestives in, it might take a while :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Beat us to it.....
After watching this now even more convinced these cars are not worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCJEJrB20Tg
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
pachypach1

Post by pachypach1 »

thanks, interesting reading :-)
I think our way forward it to leave these guests be (only 2 days left), and in future put a note in our t&c's & the info folder in the house, where they can charge up (not at our house!)
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Here in our area charging points where people can charge their cars are popping up all over the place, public car parks, supermarket car parks etc. and thinkning that we need to be prepared I have been looking at the prices they charge and it seems to be around 6 € per hour for a casual user, so I was planning on adding something to that effect in our T&Cs. It will depend on the honesty of guests as to how long they used it for, until I can fit a meter of somesort.
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We have a hybrid Mitsubishi car. At home in UK we have had a special charging power supply fitted by our gate and OH is meticulous about always plugging in after he has been out in the car. He reckons he gets all his local driving done on the electric, down to the beach, sailing club, into town etc. He has various cards for charging up at council offices, Waitrose, Ikea etc but has never actually charged up at anywhere other than home. In France in our chalet which we let occasionally he has rigged up a supply outside.
I am absolutely no use at all on this thread supplying any info re the costs involved as he has never worked it out.
I think I would feel a bit miffed to find guests regularly charging up their car - same though as having the expensive heating going through the winter and having doors and windows thrown open as they have got too hot.
As the usage of these cars increases I can see this is going to be more of an issue. I really must get OH to do some sums.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

I really must get OH to do some sums.
I don't know if this helps - we have a full electric car (the i3) in the UK, and it takes 21kWh of electricity to charge fully from completely empty (and which would take at least 8 hours on a standard 13amp socket). Our electricity cost per kWh is around 6p at night (with Economy 7) or around 12p during the day, so the cost per (full) charge ranges from £1.26p at night to £2.52 during the day. On the rare occasion we've charged up at a B&B we've left £3 per day to cover the costs and any hassle, although we've only generally done a half-charge each day. It wouldn't be possible to do several full charges each day as there wouldn't be enough time to drive the car and also re-charge, so anyone charging the car several times a day is only likely to be doing top-ups. The only car I'm aware of that could use serious amounts of electricity is the Tesla, but that needs its own charger and can't be charged from a 13amp socket.

Obviously it depends on your electricity tariff, but generally electric cars don't cost that much to charge. Electric car owners also tend to be very electricity-usage-aware and wouldn't be the types to abuse air-con etc, so may actually be better guests than some!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

The costs can vary according to your car and equipment.
See this article below.

https://pod-point.com/landing-pages/cos ... ectric-car

Things will be changing soon for owners of electric cars, though as the government needs to recoop the huge lost revenue from fuel taxes with planned additional taxes for electric cars on top of the cost of new batteries in electric cars.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nuthatch wrote: Our electricity cost per kWh is around 6p at night (with Economy 7) or around 12p during the day,
That seems very cheap for dual tariff (even if it doesn’t include the 5% VAT) - can I ask who your supplier is?
Off to check our rates!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Just doing a quick calculation in an idle moment to put a bit of perspective on the “to charge or not to charge” discussion in relation to costs.
If you supply a tumble dryer and your guests had it running non-stop for 8 hours how would you feel about it?
Charging a typical electric car costs slightly more...
CSE

Post by CSE »

Just doing a quick calculation in an idle moment
Do electric cars idle? :lol:

Still cannot find a reason why owners who say they are suggesting that this sort of business does not give good returns now then want to add what could be a huge cost to them by letting these car owners have what amounts to several litres of fuel (perday). Think how far you can travel on that with or without an electric vehicle.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.