Smashed shower screen, what would you do?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Dusty

Smashed shower screen, what would you do?

Post by Dusty »

Last week one of guests managed to smash the shower door. She was covered in minor scratches and cuts where she walked across the glass!! Luckily it happened on their second day and I have managed to replace the shower door in time for the next guests but it got me thinking about what I would have done if it happened later in their stay and there wasn't time to replace the screen, or what would I have done if I wasn't able to replace and and had to wait for a plumber to do so. I suppose I could have rigged up a shower curtain fairly quickly and that would have to do until the door could be replaced.
Anyone any other ideas?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I would probably have had to rig up a curtain. Very unlikely I would have been able to replace one so quickly.
How on earth did she manage to walk into it, break it and be relatively unscathed?
:shock:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

We can't work out how she did it, she was in the shower, I think that she must have pushed against the hinge side and paniced when it didn't open and pushed harder, breaking the door. It was hinged at the top and bottom but with nothing between the hinges so I can can see how it could happen, I have replaced it with one that has the hinging running the whole length of the door, so that should be better.
Jonathan

Re: Smashed shower screen, what would you do?

Post by Jonathan »

Dusty wrote:Last week one of guests managed to smash the shower door. She was covered in minor scratches and cuts where she walked across the glass!! Luckily it happened on their second day and I have managed to replace the shower door in time for the next guests but it got me thinking about what I would have done if it happened later in their stay and there wasn't time to replace the screen, or what would I have done if I wasn't able to replace and and had to wait for a plumber to do so. I suppose I could have rigged up a shower curtain fairly quickly and that would have to do until the door could be replaced.
Anyone any other ideas?
It should have been safety glass (at least in the UK). I am surprised she managed to cut herself.

Jonathan
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Gosh.....stuff of nightmares!

I'd be looking at the shower curtain angle too....certainly wouldn't have been easy to something like that replaced in August. Many plumbers take a holiday to spend with family then :shock:

Mouse
x
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Have a shower curtain and one of those sprung curtain poles on standby (assuming the shower is one that has two solid walls). I once had a shower door explode on me without any provocation. A new bathroom installation and I think it had been fitted too tightly within the frame. At the time I thought someone must have thrown a missile through the bathroom window but no, it just 'exploded' and shattered into a million pieces. Quite a clean up job :?
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Jonathan wrote:
It should have been safety glass (at least in the UK). I am surprised she managed to cut herself.

Jonathan
It was safety glass Jonathan, it smashed into tiny pieces, just like a toughened glass windscreen, unfortunately it didn't stop her walking through and cutting her feet, but how she cut her arms I will never know.

It was a lot of clearing up, luckily I was able to replace the screen myself, otherwise we would have had to resort to a shower curtain, which I personally hate as they always seem to stick to you when you shower.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Jonathan wrote:

Jonathan
It was safety glass Jonathan, it smashed into tiny pieces, just like a toughened glass windscreen, unfortunately it didn't stop her walking through and cutting her feet, but how she cut her arms I will never know.

It was a lot of clearing up, luckily I was able to replace the screen myself, otherwise we would have had to resort to a shower curtain, which I personally hate as they always seem to stick to you when you shower.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Dusty wrote: It was safety glass Jonathan, it smashed into tiny pieces, just like a toughened glass windscreen, unfortunately it didn't stop her walking through and cutting her feet, but how she cut her arms I will never know.
The pieces are not supposed to be very sharp - the glass is tempered not laminated. I might suggest that if you are certain the glass was safety glass and as she cut her arms too, that maybe she didn't cut herself on the shower screen.
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

We had a shower door with safety glass that fell out of its fixing and shattered across the floor in tiny pieces - again quite a clean up job! - but my son still managed to get fine cuts across his arms from flying pieces of glass. It's definitely possible with safety glass but the cuts are usually very superficial and not deep enough to be life threatening.

I would imagine that the guest received cuts on her arms simply from glass that flew up when it exploded.