What's putting people off booking?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Kgreen

Post by Kgreen »

Hi Newtimber,

Thank you, I completely agree and I am going to change it! I thought that people might like knowing that they are getting a discount, and find it satisfying being able to apply a code to get money off, but actually, as you say - it's just confusing and a bit of a faff! Thank you, I am going to change it! x

newtimber wrote:
Kgreen wrote:Thank you all so much! I've made a few changes this evening based on your feedback, I'll need to work on it a little more, but I really appreciate your help, your points all make perfect sense - can't see the wood for the trees when you've been staring at something for so long so it's great to have fresh eyes!

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

Katie
It's much better. Looking at your booking page, it's not terribly user friendly. I thought I'd book a week in August - but the price I'd actually pay wasn't clear. It's given as £810 with a discount code of 20%. Most people wouldn't instantly know how much the break (with the 20% discount) was and may be put off. And when you get on the next page, you have to enter the discount code - but you can't see what it was without going back and re-entering your dates again and writing it down or remembering it.
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to give the actual price that people have to pay rather than a price with a discount code?
Kgreen

Post by Kgreen »

Hi JanB,

Thank you!!! Yes, that's the struggle really - getting people through the door first! Reviews will be sacred, and I'll do everything in my power to squeeze them out of people (without being a pest of course).

Do book! It would be great to welcome you to the cottage. Like I said before, I make a big fuss of the welcome hamper, lots of goodies! There are also six pubs / restaurants within walking distance & some tea rooms!
JanB wrote:Your cottage looks stunning and of an unusually high quality - love the bath!

One big influence these days is going to be reviews from guesfs so I would actively encourage any guests you do have to leave a review on your booking sites as that really does help in establishing your reputation and gives confidence to potential guests.

Good luck and I might well book myself as it looks so fantastic!
Kgreen

Post by Kgreen »

Bookings are coming in! Thank you all for your advice, it's been a huge help. Very grateful indeed! x
Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

I really like your website.

May I ask who did it and what the cost was?

It is simple to navigate and very easy to find what I want.

My 1 disappointment is that I can't see any views of the outside of the cottage.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

"My 1 disappointment is that I can't see any views of the outside of the cottage."

Yes, I agree with this, a Photo of the exterior and one more of the high st would complete the picture.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Hi

Some great feedback from LMH's.

Your offer looks lovely and incredibly comfortable. My comments are based on guest approach. I also found the property listed on Airbnb, you are not the cheapest or the most expensive. You do state max of 2 people, which limits and means your price per head is higher than some other listings. This also puts you in direct competition with the many hotels and B&B’s in the area. Moderate terms is fine but you might consider the following:

- More flexibility on arrival and departure days
- Check out t 10 am – can you move this to 11 or even 12 noon.
- There is no parking – weekenders tend to have cars, you need to advise about the nearest car park or areas for parking near to the property.
- No internet/Wi-Fi but you state this in the write up? To be honest no matter the price, I would never book a property without internet. It’s essential.
- Not using instant book on Airbnb will cost you in the listing position on Airbnb. You could use it but put in place some rules. From a guest perspective I recently booked a weekend in Henley on Thames and Paris. My first criteria Instant book and Internet.
- Can you include in your listing places of interest? Why do people come to Lavenham for the weekend?
- Your photos show a lovely basket of goodies – wine, cake, tea, cafe etc., are these items included as a welcome or for dressing purposes only
- Is it possible to have a floor plan? even hand-drawn would be great. It just helps to navigate the space.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Hi. Website looks lovely, am tempted to book myself! The only negative for me would be the parking. Is the on steeet parking on the same road as the house? Could you show it in some way? Men in particular can be quite fussy about where they leave their precious cars! We have the same problem with out holiday rental. No driveway as the house is one of several on a green. I show the parking bay opposite the house photographed from them house.
bobbie diamonds

Post by bobbie diamonds »

Lovely cottage but to me the price seems quite steep. It doesn't seem that big for the price and coupled with off street parking personally I wouldn't pay that price. By only reducing your nightly price by 5-10% it can result in a lot more bookings.
Please don't think I'm being negative because I really do think you have a lovely place. But if you feel you should be getting more bookings in my experience price is king.
COYS

Post by COYS »

bobbie diamonds wrote:Lovely cottage but to me the price seems quite steep. It doesn't seem that big for the price and coupled with off street parking personally I wouldn't pay that price. By only reducing your nightly price by 5-10% it can result in a lot more bookings.
Please don't think I'm being negative because I really do think you have a lovely place. But if you feel you should be getting more bookings in my experience price is king.
I'd disagree entirely. Cheapest rarely means best value & most reasonable holidaymakers realise as much. Price is only one factor with many other variables but personally I'd rather slightly fewer bookings at higher value than to be 'sold out' purely on low pricing with all the aggravation that may bring.
Confidence in your product will lead you to a price point you are happy with. Once there, devaluing it sends out mixed messages. Quality, not always quantity pays in the end.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

I'd disagree entirely. Cheapest rarely means best value & most reasonable holidaymakers realise as much. Price is only one factor with many other variables but personally I'd rather slightly fewer bookings at higher value than to be 'sold out' purely on low pricing with all the aggravation that may bring.
Confidence in your product will lead you to a price point you are happy with. Once there, devaluing it sends out mixed messages. Quality, not always quantity pays in the end.[/quote]

I would tend to agree here. I have found more respect for the property from the guests paying full price rather than those who have arranged a discount. I too would prefer less guests at the right price.
Until our agent contract expires, this is not so easy.
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

COYS wrote:
bobbie diamonds wrote:Lovely cottage but to me the price seems quite steep. It doesn't seem that big for the price and coupled with off street parking personally I wouldn't pay that price. By only reducing your nightly price by 5-10% it can result in a lot more bookings.
Confidence in your product will lead you to a price point you are happy with. Once there, devaluing it sends out mixed messages. Quality, not always quantity pays in the end.
Golden Rule: Never undervalue your product.
If you want to undervalue a holiday rental, just give it to Sykes to manage bookings - they’re the acknowledged masters of undervaluing, to the great detriment of the owner and everybody else in this industry.

Golden Rule Two: People who get something cheap treat it accordingly.

Golden Rule Three: Having a place sitting empty is always better than having cheap guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

This thread is now several months old, having been raised by a member rather than the poster. You only need to look at the booking calendar to see that the product is now working very well indeed. :wink:
limousin-cottage

Post by limousin-cottage »

Are you on the 'book your holiday direct with the owner' Facebook group?[/quote]

Hello Joanna,

Thank you so much for this. I am with the book your holiday direct Facebook group! I totally take on board your comments about the exterior cottage photo - I need to retake one this week as I've just bought a hanging basket and plants for the front so it will look much nicer! I completely agree with the illustration and photos, I will have a look at rearranging. I realise my text IS a little boring, so I will look at that too! Thanks again for your comments, they are much appreciated!

Katie[/quote]

My cottage is with the Book your Holiday Direct with the Owner page on Facebook too, but I have never had an enquiry via them. I keep it there as prospective guests may click my website link.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

limousin-cottage wrote:Are you on the 'book your holiday direct with the owner' Facebook group?
Hello Joanna,

Thank you so much for this. I am with the book your holiday direct Facebook group! I totally take on board your comments about the exterior cottage photo - I need to retake one this week as I've just bought a hanging basket and plants for the front so it will look much nicer! I completely agree with the illustration and photos, I will have a look at rearranging. I realise my text IS a little boring, so I will look at that too! Thanks again for your comments, they are much appreciated!

Katie[/quote]

My cottage is with the Book your Holiday Direct with the Owner page on Facebook too, but I have never had an enquiry via them. I keep it there as prospective guests may click my website link.[/quote]

I haven't either, directly. However, I often get FB page likes when I share a post from my page to the group, so people are looking. I'm guessing a few of them will click through to the website and a small number will book. It's all good publicity and well worth it if you have the time, you never know how much interest it's generating 'under the radar'.